History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 6 Unidentified Monuments About 2m North of Hale Enclosure,next to West Wall in Churchyard of Church of St Kenelm

A Grade II Listed Building in Alderley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6156 / 51°36'56"N

Longitude: -2.336 / 2°20'9"W

OS Eastings: 376832

OS Northings: 190803

OS Grid: ST768908

Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.Q71

Mapcode Global: VH95G.GNDC

Entry Name: Group of 6 Unidentified Monuments About 2m North of Hale Enclosure,next to West Wall in Churchyard of Church of St Kenelm

Listing Date: 9 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340684

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132159

Location: Alderley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Alderley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Alderley St Kenelm

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Alderley

Listing Text

ST 79 SE ALDERLEY ALDERLEY VILLAGE

8/14 Group of 6 Unidentified Monuments
about 2m north of Hale enclosure,
next to west wall in churchyard of
Church of St. Kenelm.

GV II


Group of 6 closely set chest tombs. Some or all to Crewe family,
late C17 to early C18. All limestone with flat tops. From south to
north:
1. Heavy moulded capping, plain inscription panel to east
(indecipherable). Breaking up badly on north side at time of
survey (November 1984).
2. Moulded plinth and capping, flattened lyre ends with fielded
panels, long sides divided into 3 fielded panels.
3. and 4. joined together by stone panel and also by iron staples.
Plain ends and sides, very heavy cappings. Inscription on north
dated 1667.
5. Moulded capping rounded to east, plain sides with inscription
to north. Breaking up badly.
6. Moulded capping, colonnettes to 4 corners with fluted end
panels between. Rectangular inscription panels to south and
north with flattened scroll decoration to each side and name of
Edward Crewe, died 1709.


Listing NGR: ST7683290803

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.