History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millend Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7466 / 51°44'47"N

Longitude: -2.3183 / 2°19'5"W

OS Eastings: 378119

OS Northings: 205370

OS Grid: SO781053

Mapcode National: GBR 0L3.GP6

Mapcode Global: VH94W.RCRD

Entry Name: Millend Mill

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132324

Location: Eastington, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Eastington

Built-Up Area: Eastington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Eastington St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frocester

Listing Text

EASTINGTON MILLEND
SO 7805
13/65 Millend Mill
GV II
Mill, unused at time of survey (November 1985). Mill site since
C14, this building rebuilt by Henry Hicks at some point between
late 1790s and 1820. Coursed and dressed stone with corner
pyramidal finials on north gable end, roof mainly tile, partially
slate, stone end stacks. Large brick addition with slate roof on
west side of late C19, later concrete addition of C20 on east side
not of special interest. Main block of 4 storeys and attic, single
range with brick addition forming L-shape to front, and with long
single storey brick shed to rear. Seven windows, 2-light stone
mullions, all blocked. North gable end has former haulingways,
blocked round-headed opening to top, double doors in cambered head
opening below, and long blocked opening below. Door on ground
floor to right. South gable end has 5 tiers of two 2-light, all
similarly blocked or bricked up. Brick section has round or
cambered head lights to upper floors, all bricked up, and curved
south west corner corbelled out on stone. Interior not
accessible, but may be of interest. This is the only mill of 3 on
the River Frome in Eastington parish rebuilt by the clothier Henry
Hicks in the early C19, remaining in anything like its original
form. The mills were subsequently run by the Hooper family up to
the end of the C19; Meadow Mill has been much altered, Churchend
Mill demolished. Millend Mill was a corn mill in 1939, empty by
1968, and is said to have had 4 water wheels in the late C19.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)


Listing NGR: SO7811905370

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.