History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Baunton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7408 / 51°44'26"N

Longitude: -1.97 / 1°58'11"W

OS Eastings: 402169

OS Northings: 204674

OS Grid: SP021046

Mapcode National: GBR 3QK.SWB

Mapcode Global: VHB2J.SHXW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131048

Location: Baunton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Baunton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Baunton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cirencester

Listing Text

BAUNTON BAUNTON VILLAGE
SP 00 SW
9/24 Church of St Mary Magdalene
26.11.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C12 and Perpendicular; restored 1876.
Nave; limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins and ashlar
parapet. Chancel; coursed squared and dressed limestone. Small
C12 nave with a projecting C15 porch; C12 chancel with C19 vestry
at right angles on the north. Nave south wall; one Perpendicular
hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window with cinquefoil-headed
lights. Oval memorial plaque (probably C18) to the right with an
almost illegible inscription. Studded plank door to the left
(within the porch) with Tudor closing ring, escutcheon and hinges
within a hollow-moulded Tudor-arched surround; C19 buttressing at
the west end of the nave. Decorated 2-light west window with
cinquefoil-headed lights and hood. Nave north wall; restored
Early English 2-light window with plate tracery and hood.
Projecting lean-to stair turret (formerly giving access to the rood
screen (see interior) to the left. C15 parapet with moulded string
and roll-moulded coping. Chancel south wall; single C19 two-light
pointed window with cinquefoil-headed lights and a hood. Single
similar window in the north wall. No east window. Gabled bell-
hanging for 2 bells at the west gable end of the nave. Stepped
gable-end coping. Three upright stone cross finials. Projecting
Perpendicular gabled porch with pointed-arched entrance with hollow
and flat-chamfered mouldings and hood. Stone bench seats within
porch. Small square niche in the west wall. Two C18 ledgers in
the stone flag floor the best preserved being to Henry Stephens,
died 1728 and Elizabeth his wife, died 1723.
Scraped interior with a 3-bay nave and 3-bay chancel. C19-early
C20 roof trusses to the nave and chancel. The roof trusses to the
chancel have arch-braced collar beams, and king posts and curved
struts. The trusses in the nave have braced tie beams and king
posts with curving struts. Red tile and plank flooring to the
nave. Encaustic tiling to the chancel. Two flat-chamfered 4-
centred arched doorways, one above the other (now blocked) in the
north-wall close to the junction of the nave and chancel, formerly
giving access to a Perpendicular rood screen. Trefoil-headed
piscina in the north wall of the chancel. Early mutilated trefoil-
headed piscina with credence shelf in the south-east corner of the
chancel. C19 piscina in the north wall of the chancel. Fixtures
and fittings; polygonal stone font (probably C16) inside the south
door resting on a C12 cylindrical font: Wooden pulpit
incorporating some C17 carved oak panels including four pierced
arcaded panels. Early C20 pews. C20 wooden communion rails. Part
of the former Perpendicular rood screen with tracery and linen-fold
panelling has been incorporated into the reredos. Fine C14 wall
painting (c3m wide by 4m high) of St Christopher on the nave north
wall. St. Christopher is depicted wading through a stream, on the
east bank is a hermit with a lantern and church, on the west a
seated female figure, at the top is a landscape of trees, churches
and a windmill. In a frame east of the south doorway is a complete
C15 embroidered altar frontal, composed of alternate strips of red
and yellow silk embroidered with 17 double-headed eagles in silver
thread, at the centre is a representation of the crucifixion with
St Mary and St John, below which is a rebus of a name comprising a
golden eagle gripping a white ass above a golden barrel from which
issues two flowering branches.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: SP0216904674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.