History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Four Memorials, Including Tyndall and Poulton, Circa 2 Metres to 10 Metres Due South of South East Chancel Corner of Parish Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Cam, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6922 / 51°41'32"N

Longitude: -2.3521 / 2°21'7"W

OS Eastings: 375755

OS Northings: 199333

OS Grid: ST757993

Mapcode National: GBR 0LN.S5M

Mapcode Global: VH952.5QWL

Entry Name: Group of Four Memorials, Including Tyndall and Poulton, Circa 2 Metres to 10 Metres Due South of South East Chancel Corner of Parish Church of St George

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131419

Location: Cam, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Cam

Built-Up Area: Dursley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cam St George

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cam

Listing Text

ST 79 NE CAM CHURCH ROAD
4/10K (north side)

Group of four
memorials, including
Tyndall and Poulton,
c2 m to 10 m due south
of south-east chancel
corner of
GV Parish Church of St George

II


Four memorials, aligned in parallel due north-south from chancel.

(i) Lofty chest tomb. Late C18. Limestone. Moulded cornice and cavetto base,
elliptical panels. To WILLIAM TYNDALL, 1799. This item closest to chancel wall, and
set lower than remaining three in the group.

(ii) Chest tomb. Mid C18. Limestone. A rich baroque design with rounded edge cyma
top, baroque quarter balusters, square panels, with bolection mould, on one face only;
inscriptions not legible. Immediately to south of Tyndall memorial (q.v.).

(iii) Chest tomb. Mid C18, but earliest legible date late C18. Limestone. Cyma top
and moulded base, quarter balusters, elliptical panels, one end plain; at east end,
weeping putts. To JAMES POULTON, 1794, but an earlier design, other inscriptions not
legible. Located c7.50 m due south from chancel wall.

(iv) Chest tomb. Mid C18. Limestone. Moulded top, and cavetto base. Small quarter
balusters, elliptical raised panels with corner rosettes. Inscriptions not legible.
Located immediately south of Poulton memorial (q.v.).


Listing NGR: ST7575599333

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.