This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6749 / 51°40'29"N
Longitude: -1.9292 / 1°55'45"W
OS Eastings: 404992
OS Northings: 197344
OS Grid: SU049973
Mapcode National: GBR 3RC.YYC
Mapcode Global: VHB2Y.H5ZD
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 26 November 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129524
Location: South Cerney, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: South Cerney
Built-Up Area: South Cerney
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: South Cerney All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SOUTH CERNEY CHURCH LANE
14/225 Church of All Hallows
Anglican parish church. Norman foundation, altered throughout
medieval period, restored 1862 by J.P. St. Aubyn. Rubble stone
tower and chancel, remainder mostly coursed, with dressed stone
aisle walls on offset plinth, stone slate roof to chancel, rest
plain tiles, with coped verges and cross finials. Nave with north
and south aisles and south porch, central tower, chancel with small
north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with offset at lower level, string
course at higher level, with stepped buttresses to north and south
halfway up second stage, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles.
Single Norman lancet to north and south on bottom stage, single
square-headed light with relieving arch on second stage, twin
belfry louvres to top stage, with clock on south face, large tie
bar oval plates towards top. Stair tower to south-west, and
sundial on south-east buttress. North aisle has partly restored
Norman north door, 2 and 3-light Decorated C19 windows and stepped
buttresses. Chancel has 3-light east window with ball flower
decoration on upper tracery, and small ogee head priest's door on
south side between 2-light Decorated windows, all of C14. On south
side, large C19 porch with angle buttresses and tall coped gable
and rear Norman doorway with beakheads and chevron moulding, moved
to this position in 1862.
Interior: 5-bay nave with braced and strutted collar beam roof
with moulding on under side and 2 tiers of arched wind bracing.
Five-bay Early English arcade with cylindrical piers and attached
shafts. Keel-moulded tower arches. Double piscina and sedilia in
chancel, with braced crossed strut roof carried on ridge beam.
Many fine black and white marble wall monuments of C18 and C19 in
aisles and chancel. (David Verey, Buildings of England -
Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979; local informaton booklet).
Listing NGR: SU0498897344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings