History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Connected Barns East of Church Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6172 / 51°37'1"N

Longitude: -2.2561 / 2°15'21"W

OS Eastings: 382364

OS Northings: 190957

OS Grid: ST823909

Mapcode National: GBR 1P2.DG4

Mapcode Global: VH95H.VM44

Entry Name: Two Connected Barns East of Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Last Amended: 1 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341011

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129614

Location: Boxwell with Leighterton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: BoxwellSt Mary the Virgin and Leighterton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Didmarton

Listing Text

BOXWELL WITH THE STREET (Leighterton Village
ST 8290 east side)
LEIGHTERTON
2/23 Two connected barns to east of
Church Farmhouse
(previously listed as barn at
Church Farm)

GV II*

6.9.54
Two connected barns. Large barn to north dated 1733; smaller with
datestone TS/1765. Random rubble limestone; stone slate roof.
Six-bay barn to north with porches to east and west, west with
columbarium over. Five-bay barn attached end to end to south
having east and west porches. West side: tall cross-gabled
columbarium with central square lantern and small opening with iron
bar in front gable; timber lintel to large plank barn doors below
with relieving arch over. Outshut to left with catslide roof.
Gable to right of columbarium with blocked loft doorway, now having
C19 casement and timber lintel. Gabled porch with loft to 1765
barn to right with blocked doorway and loft opening. Lean-to to
left and right of porch. North end: slit vent above segmental-
arched small-paned loft casement. C20 lean-to below not of special
interest. South end: roughcast gable end with C20 loft casement
and 2 slit vents below. East side: gabled porch with relieving
arch to 1733 barn. C20 lean-to either side of porch not of special
interest Lean-to porch to 1765 barn with corrugated-iron in door
position. Interiors: 1733 barn has original collar and tie-beam
truss roof structure. More alterations have been made to roof of
1765 barn but trusses are mainly original. These barns are a good
example of the south Cotswold type and dominate the south end of
the village. Forms part of group with Church Farmhouse and
outbuilding (q.v.). (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
1979.)


Listing NGR: ST8236490957

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.