History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ampney Crucis, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7187 / 51°43'7"N

Longitude: -1.8967 / 1°53'48"W

OS Eastings: 407231

OS Northings: 202229

OS Grid: SP072022

Mapcode National: GBR 3R1.78S

Mapcode Global: VHB2S.22M7

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341019

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129669

Location: Ampney Crucis, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Ampney Crucis

Built-Up Area: Ampney Crucis

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Ampney Crucis The Holy Rood

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Ampney Crucis

Listing Text

SP 0602-0702 AMPNEY CRUCIS SCHOOL LANE
(east side)

11/46 The Old School House
(formerly listed as School on
Road to Dudley Farm)
4.6.52

GV II

Former school, now private house adjoining C20 school to south.
1791 on plaque on south side. Coursed rubble stone, concrete tile
roof to main section, stone slate roof to small wing at east end,
stone end stack with moulded cornice to left, brick end stack to
right. Main range an 'L'-shape with rear wing to left, with
additional small wing to right. Three windows, pointed arches with
voussoirs and paired 4-pane casements at base. Central bay
projects slightly with shallow pediment and central round plaque
with inscription as follows: "This Charity School/erected AD 1791
was founded and/endowed by ROBERT PLEYDELL/Lord of this Manor AD
1722". One similar window to left on ground floor with 6-pane
casements. Remainder of ground floor obscured by C20 school
building not of special interest. Wing to right has large square
window on first floor front and rear with decorative original
octagonal leading. Main entrance on left hand gable end to street
with C20 door and tall plain fanlight with timber lintel and 3-
light wood casement with timber lintel above.

Listing NGR: SP0723102229

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.