History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 Morean (Possibly Morgan) Monuments Immediately Adjoining South East Corner of Church in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.709 / 51°42'32"N

Longitude: -1.7818 / 1°46'54"W

OS Eastings: 415172

OS Northings: 201164

OS Grid: SP151011

Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SF2

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.29DQ

Entry Name: 3 Morean (Possibly Morgan) Monuments Immediately Adjoining South East Corner of Church in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129714

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Quenington

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD HIGH STREET
(west side)

13/158 3 Morean (possibly Morgan) monuments
immediately adjoining south east
corner of church in churchyard of
Church of St. Mary

GV II*

One bale tomb and 2 chest tombs, all to Morean, possibly Morgan or
Morear family: Bale, Robert 1728; chests: centre, Edmund,
probably mid C18, and north, unidentified of similar style and
date. Robert - spiral bale top in 2 sections with panelled central
band, shell ends wth eroded carvings in each. Gadrooned capping,
moulded plinth. West end has plain shield with initials and date,
east end has high relief cartouche with griffin on shield. North
side has slightly raised centre panel bearing long description of
deceased, and flanking large compressed acanthus scrolls. South
side also has slightly raised centre inscription panel with
flanking recessed relief floral decoration. Similar in design to
chest tomb of Valentine Strong (q.v.) to south west of porch. Top
breaking up to north east. Edmund - large stepped tent top almost
completely overgrown at time of survey (September 1985), moulded
plinth and capping on tall base, plain frieze. Plain shield to
west end, coat of arms to east end with stag and shield. Both
sides have flanking pilaster strips wth relief decoration, north
side with cartouche and twin cherub heads to inscription partially
obscured by ivy, and south side with badly eroded central panel.
Unidentified - similar to Edmund. Fluted pilaster corners. North
side has plain fielded side strips. South side has small central
fielded panel with additional edge moulding flanked by 2 plain
ovals in simple cartouche with cherub's head and wings over.

Listing NGR: SP1517201164

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.