This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7088 / 51°42'31"N
Longitude: -1.7811 / 1°46'51"W
OS Eastings: 415223
OS Northings: 201137
OS Grid: SP152011
Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SMM
Mapcode Global: VHB2V.29SX
Entry Name: Police Station and Former Magistrates' Court
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341047
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129722
Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Fairford
Built-Up Area: Fairford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD HIGH STREET
13/165 Police Station and former
Former "Petty Sessional Court and Police Station" inscribed on
gable, magistrates' court closed in late 1970's, originally also
housing members of police force on upper floors. 1860. Rock-faced
coursed stone on moulded stone plinth with alternating flush
quoins, tile roof with coped verges with end saddlestone, large
ashlar end stacks with polygonal moulding to front and rear.
Single front range and rear wing containing court, 2 storeys and
attic. Symmetrical design with single large central coped gable
with 2-light stone mullion with arched lights and raised stone
inscription in Gothic lettering, flanked by steeply-gabled dormers
with boarded gable and small paired casement and projecting roof
with bargeboard forming steep arched shape. Central oriel window
on first floor with flanking 2-light stone mullion and transoms
with relieving arches, and moulded continuous sill band below
splayed sills. Ground floor has pointed arch entrance to each end
with flush stone chamfered archway and original studded plank doors
with decorative strap hinges. Raised stone inscriptions over. Two
3-light stone mullion and transoms between, with relieving arches.
Interior contains the 2 original police cells with sloping board
beds, and intact magistrates' court with steeply pitched roof, all
fittings, and adjacent waiting room.
Listing NGR: SP1523201139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings