This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.94 / 51°56'24"N
Longitude: -1.6479 / 1°38'52"W
OS Eastings: 424299
OS Northings: 226895
OS Grid: SP242268
Mapcode National: GBR 5R9.B68
Mapcode Global: VHBZ6.DH5M
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130124
Location: Adlestrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Adlestrop
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Adlestrop
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ADLESTROP ADLESTROP VILLAGE
SP 22 NW
4/12 Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Anglican parish church. C13 tower and chancel arch, C14 tower.
Rebuilding c1750 and again 1765. South transept probably C18.
Chancel altered 1824. North transept dated 1860 on trefoil
datestone in gable end. General restoration early 1860s.
Rebuilding/alterations to the church, 1765 probably influenced by
Sanderson Miller, (q.v. Adlestrop Park). Nave south wall and
north transept/vestry coursed squared and dressed limestone, nave
north wall ashlar sandstone, chancel coursed squared and dressed
sandstone. Stone slate roof. South transept ashlar sandstone.
Nave, west tower, north and south transepts, vestry attached to
east wall of north transept, chancel. Nave north wall; two 2-
light C19 two-light windows with tracery with hoodmoulds with stops
in the form of heads. Similar windows inserted into south wall.
Similar window in gable end of north transept. C19 plank door to
vestry left, within pointed-arched surround. C19 lancet in west
wall of north transept. 2-light stone-mullioned window with
quatrefoil over in east wall of vestry. South transept, C19
pointed-arched window similar to those lighting nave within
blocking of former south door in gable-end. 2-light early C18
window with 'Tudor'-arched lights and narrow central mullion in
east wall. Chancel; 2-light C19 stone-mullioned window with
quatrefoil in north wall, rectangular limestone monument set into
wall left of window to Anthony Green, died 1596, margin decorated
with scrollwork with triangular pediment enclosing skull over.
C19, three-light window with tracery and hood with head stops at
east end, 2-light C19 stone-mullioned window with quatrefoil and
C19 lancet in south wall of chancel. 3 stage tower with strings
between stages and diagonal buttresses. Lancet window to second
stage on north, single rectangular light on south. C19 double
plank door with decorative hinges within C19 segmental-pointed
arched surround on west. 2-light C19 pointed stone-mullioned
window with stopped hood over. Clock faces on north and east
faces of second stage of tower dated 1887, commemorating Queen
Victoria's Golden Jubilee. 2-light bellcote windows with trefoil
heads, quatrefoils stopped hoods and limestone louvres on each face
of third stage. Embattlemented parapet.
Interior: walls plastered, C13 pointed arch from nave to tower.
Piers comprise 3 engaged columns with foliate capitals. Double-
chamfered pointed C13 chancel arch. Double-chamfered pointed
arches to transepts. Flag floor to nave, red and black tile floor
to chancel. Elaborate heavy-timber king post roof with decorative
cusping to nave. Braces to soffit of tie from corbels decorated
with faces or foliate decoration. Wooden barrel roof with bosses
to chancel. Octagonal C15 font at west end of nave. C19 pews.
Finely carved wood pulpit dated 1927 with carved figures in relief
and fine pierced tracery with intertwined vine at top. C19
octagonal stone pulpit with foliate upper margin, stone steps and
marble inlay at base. C20 communion rail. Monuments: nave south
wall from west; hatchment, white on grey marble monument to James
Leigh died 1823 and Julia his wife died 1843, with urn and heraldic
shield. White on black marble monument to Lady Caroline Leigh,
died 1804, with urn. North wall from west; 2 hatchments. All
hatchments in nave commemorate members of the Leigh family, (q.v.
Adlestrop Park and Adlestrop House). Marble monument left of
chancel arch to Elizabeth Wentworth, died 1788 and her niece.
Marble monument right of chancel arch with female figure leaning on
an urn above inscription to James Leigh died 1744. Large white
marble monument to Reverend Thomas Leigh died 1813 and Mary his
wife died 1797 on west wall of south transept. Two C19 marble
monuments on north wall of chancel, monument towards east end to
Theophilus Leigh, former pastor died 1785 and his wife. Two large
C19 metal pointed arched plaques one with biblical text one with
commandments either side of altar. Three C18 recumbent ledger
slabs in floor of nave, one with Latin inscription. C19 stained
glass in windows of chancel and in transepts and west window.
(David Verey The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: SP2429926895
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings