This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.931 / 51°55'51"N
Longitude: -1.648 / 1°38'52"W
OS Eastings: 424299
OS Northings: 225892
OS Grid: SP242258
Mapcode National: GBR 5R9.XVH
Mapcode Global: VHBZ6.DQ4K
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130133
Location: Adlestrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Adlestrop
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Kingham and Daylesford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ADLESTROP DAYLESFORD VILLAGE
SP 22 NW
4/21 Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church of Daylesford parish (now part of Adlestrop
parish) 1860 built by J. L. Pearson for Harman Grisewood
incorporating elements from earlier church on same site. Coursed
squared and dressed limestone, snecked lower courses, red sandstone
columns flanking exterior openings. Stone slate, limestone roof to
spire and turret. Cruciform plan; nave with projecting south
porch, central tower, north and south transepts, vestry in angle
between north transept and chancel. French Gothic style. Raking
plinth and continuous shoulder-height string around entire church.
Nave; clasping buttresses at east end with quatrefoil and foliate
decoration. East window comprises two separate pointed lights with
large quatrefoil above all set back with segmental-pointed
surround. Continuous string stepped up below window with blind
quatrefoil decoration below. Plank door with decorative hinges on
north within roll-moulded pointed-arched surround with nail head
decoration either side of moulding. Two sandstone pillars either
side with foliate capitals. Continuous string with dog tooth
decoration forms pointed hood over. Boot scrapers either side of
doorway. 3-light window left with bar tracery dividing small
pointed arched lights with 2 quatrefoils and trefoil light above,
within pointed-arched surround with roll moulding at top. Eaves
cornice with billet decoration. South side; window right of
porch; 2 separate small pointed lights with single large
quatrefoil. Porch with angle buttresses. 2 pairs of small
trefoil-headed lights flanked by sandstone columns lighting side
walls. Pointed arched entrance flanked by paired sandstone
columns with foliate capitals, dogtooth decoration either side of
columns. Continuous dripmould forming pointed hood over, chip-
carved star decoration below hood. Buttressed south transept;
east window comprises 2 trefoil-headed lights flanked by sandstone
columns with foliate heads, quatrefoil above each light, delicate
foliate decoration over pointed arched surround. String with
quatrefoil decoration below at eaves height continued across gable
end except where interrupted by windows. Large quatrefoil within
circular surround above. North transept, north wall decorated
with blind arcade of 5 trefoil-headed arches each flanked by
sandstone columns with foliate capitals. Arcade pierced by 2
small pointed lights either side of central blind arch. Large
rose window above with quatrefoil at centre, small sandstone
columns radiate out from quatrefoil each flanking a trefoil-headed
light. Circular stair turret in angle between nave and north
transept with plank door with decorative hinges, flanked by
sandstone columns with foliate limestone heads. Narrow pointed-
arch rises from capitals with cinquefoil cusping at top. Pointed
canopy over with engaged foliate finial at top forming part of a
foliate string, circular stair turret with slit lights rises above.
String with billet decoration above blind arcade of small pointed
arches with engaged sandstone columns at top of turret. 2 small
slit lights with trefoil heads set within blind arcading, pointed
upright leaf decoration above. Chancel/vestry; clasping
buttresses, 3-light east window divided by limestone shafts,
flanked by engaged red sandstone columns with finely carved foliate
capitals. Mouldings of capitals continued left and right as
string with naturalistic floral decoration griping dragonlike
beasts where string terminates. Blind trefoils above each light
with foliate central bosses. Pointed canopy over each with
engaged finials at apexes. Each canopy flanked by decorated
engaged colonettes with clasping dragonlike beasts at base. 2
pointed lancets with single quatrefoil above to vestry lower right.
Vestry with chimney projecting from north wall with cross-'gabled'
stone chimney. Plank door with decorative hinges flanked by
sandstone columns within roll-moulded pointed arch right of
chimney. Boot scraper left of door. Tower; 2-light belfry
windows on all 4 sides flanked by sandstone columns with foliate
capitals in deep reveals. Quatrefoil opening within circular
surround above. Gablet above each window with finial. Engaged
columns with foliate heads at corners of tower. Band with
decoration based on trefoil at junction of tower and pyramidal
roof. Pyramidal stone-spire with bands of 'fish scale'
decoration. Conical roof to stair turret with similar decoration.
Flat gable-end coping with upright cross finials to nave, chancel,
transepts and porch. Stone ridge tiles with upright leaf
decoration. Wooden guttering with lead lining with decorative
Interior: Porch: bench seats, paired small pointed-arched windows
flanked by sandstone columns matching those on exterior. Carved
stone Agnus Dei between left-hand pair, large bird sheltering two
smaller birds between right-hand pair. Coloured tile floor, heavy
timber roof with nailhead decoration. C19 studded plank door with
decorative hinges within flat-chamfered C13 almost round-arched
surround flanked by keel moulded columns with stiff leaf capitals.
Hollow-moulded and keel-moulded hood with foliate stops.
Segmental-pointed arch on interior face of arch with roll-moulded
and chevron decoration. Segmental-pointed surround to north door
opposite with ogee moulding at top and engaged columns with foliate
capitals either side. Pointed arch between nave and crossing.
Brown marble column against inside face of arch with foliate
limestone capital, green marble columns with foliate capitals in
stepped reveals either side. Similar arches to transepts and
chancel. Quatrefoils upper right and left of all 4 archways.
C19 plank door with decorative hinges from north transept into
vestry within trefoil headed surround. Vestry; blocked partially
restored, C12 round-headed arch with imposts in wall dividing
vestry from chancel, blocked segmental-pointed arch formerly
opening into chancel right. Small fireplace in north wall.
Central free-standing marble columns behind west window supporting
bar tracery with central quatrefoil within circle. All other window
surrounds and arcading match those on exterior but with flanking
columns in pink or grey marble. Stained glass windows throughout;
east and west windows by Wailes, other windows by Clayton and Bell.
Foliate cornice above blind arcading on north and south walls of
sanctuary. Chip-carved decoration within repeated semi-circles
above cusped inner arches of east window. Geometrical multi-
coloured mosaics in white, brown, green and black marble at east
end below east window and below arcading on north and south walls.
Seat in form of recess partly in limestone set into south wall.
Continuous string course c2m above ground continued around interior
of church and columns. Geometric coloured tile flooring.
Pointed heavy-timber roof with braced collar, some principal
rafters with billet decoration. Stone barrel-vaulted roof to
chancel, wood herringbone pattern barrel-vault to north transept.
Scissor-braced roof to south transept. Fittings: C19 ten-sided
stone font at east end with marble colonnettes around base, wooden
lid with foliate wrought iron decoration. Ornate circular stone
pulpit with biblical scenes and foliate and incised decoration in
north-east corner of nave. Ornate wrought iron screens dividing
crossing from transepts with cinquefoil headed arch towards east
forming entrance to each transept respectively, 4 trefoil-headed
arches east of entrances with highly ornate foliate, gilded and
painted cast ironwork. 2 candelabra from each screen, original
wrought iron wall-hung candelabra in nave. Monuments etc.; brass
plaque to Harman Grisewood patron of the church, died 1871 at west
end. North wall of nave; 2 white marble plaques one recording
the restoration/rebuilding of the original church on the site in
1816 by Warren Hastings and the subsequent building of the present
church on the same site. White marble monument to Warren
Hastings, died 1818 above north door. White marble monument to
Anna Maria Apollonia died 1837 right. White marble monument to
General Sir Charles Imoff below. One C17 and one C18 recumbent
stone ledgers in north transept. Small brass plaque to Niel
Makepeace, died 1708 and Elizabeth his wife died 1718 in west wall
of south transept. Recumbent ledger with inset with fine brass
depicting William Gardiner of Lagham, Surrey, died 1632 with
inscription plaque below figure and inset brass inscription around
margin. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire,
The Cotswolds (1979) and A Quiney, John Loughborough Pearson pp 59-
Listing NGR: SP2429525893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings