History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6512 / 51°39'4"N

Longitude: -2.1001 / 2°6'0"W

OS Eastings: 393172

OS Northings: 194712

OS Grid: ST931947

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q6.HVK

Mapcode Global: VH95D.KR4L

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130319

Location: Ashley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Ashley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Ashley

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Crudwell

Listing Text

ASHLEY ASHLEY VILLAGE
ST 99 SW
8/5 Church of St. James
6.9.54
GV II*

Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, with south aisle rebuilt
c1200, and altered including rebuilding of chancel in 1848.
Coursed rubble stone with ashlar east end, stone slate roof with
coped verges and saddlestones with cross finials. West tower, nave
with narrow south aisle and south porch adjoining south transeptal
gable, lower projecting chancel. Tower of 2 stages with string
courses, upper embattled stage of C15 with gargoyles and mullioned
belfry lights to north and west faces. Mostly 2-light plate
tracery windows, replaced to north and east in C19. South porch
has Norman doorway with dogtooth and horseshoe diapering to lintel
and tympanum, roll moulded arch, and scalloped capitals to side
shafts cut short at side stone seats. Three-bay Early English
arcade on south side with clustered shafts with foliated capitals.
Plain plastered nave vault, with 4 shallow bays of arch-braced
principals to chancel, on long decorative corbels. Several fine
stone wall tablets in south aisle, mostly of C18. East window has
rere-arch with marble side colonnettes.
(David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - the
Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: ST9317294712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.