History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bartons

A Grade II Listed Building in Tetbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6352 / 51°38'6"N

Longitude: -2.1605 / 2°9'37"W

OS Eastings: 388990

OS Northings: 192946

OS Grid: ST889929

Mapcode National: GBR 1P0.DLW

Mapcode Global: VH95K.H5Q8

Entry Name: The Bartons

Listing Date: 21 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128479

Location: Tetbury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Tetbury

Built-Up Area: Tetbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tetbury

Listing Text

ST 8892-8992 TETBURY CHURCH STREET
(east side)

8/203 The Bartons
[formerly listed as No 28 (Barton
House)]


II


Large detached house. Early C18 with additional wing to north west
of 1776. Coursed and dressed rubble stone with quoins, Cotswold
stone slate roof, large ashlar stacks. Main front to south has
parapet wall and mansard roof, 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows, 12-
pane sashes with large lintels and dropped keystones. Ground floor
has 4 plate glass sashes in similar surrounds and central Doric
porch with attached columns, frieze, cornice and pediment, and
half glazed door. 4 small dormers with flat roofs. String band at
cornice level. Small 2-storey wing to right. Front to Church
Street of 2 storeys has central stone doorcase with pediment,
moulded architrave and panelled door, with relieving arch, adjacent
to additional wing on right of 1776 with moulded stone cornice and
dentils and blocking course, and fluted frieze with inscription "JW
1776". Fine stone gateway with panelled side piers and lintel,
corner rosettes, moulded cornice, and blocking course.


Listing NGR: ST8899092946

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.