This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.743 / 51°44'34"N
Longitude: -1.8902 / 1°53'24"W
OS Eastings: 407678
OS Northings: 204929
OS Grid: SP076049
Mapcode National: GBR 3QN.NY1
Mapcode Global: VHB2L.6G24
Entry Name: Barnsley House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128843
Location: Barnsley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Barnsley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 00 SE BARNSLEY A433, Barnsley Village
3/6 Barnsley House
(formerly listed as Barnsley Close)
Large detached house. Late C17 (datestone with 1697 and initials
B.B on south east front) begun by Brereton Bourchier, extended
c1820/30 by Musgrave family. Coursed rubble stone, partly dressed,
with alternating flush quoins, stone slate roof with coped verges
and ashlar stacks with moulded cornices. End stack to south-west
is external, lateral stack on south-east wing has dent il cornice.
Large double range with cross range to north, 2 storeys and attic.
South-west front was refaced and heightened also c1820/30 and 3
gabled attics with 2-light stone mullions and square hoodmoulds and
coped verges with finials were added. Front has 3/2/3-light stone
mullion and transoms with square hoodmoulds, two 3-light on ground
floor with projecting central castellated porch with 4-centred
stone archway and original double doors with studded vertical
battens. Range to north in similar style with 2-light mullion and
transom on first floor and 3-light on ground floor, Musgrave coat
of arms in gable. South-east front has 3 cross-gabled attic
dormers as front, five 2-light mullion and transoms to first floor
with continuous dripmould and 4 to ground floor with ventral door
of studded vertical battens with moulded pointed arch surround and
datestone over (Gothic pointed hood removed due to decay). North
cross wing has Verey coat of arms at apex, replacing Musgrave arms
in 1958, 4-light stone mullion and transom with square hoodmould on
first floor and canted bay with castellated parapet on ground
floor. South side of this wing has single storey castellated
verandah with 4-centred archways, probably also of c1820/30, with
ogee light over. North end has additional mid C19 service wings.
Interior has very fine mid/late C17 twisted baluster oak doq-leg
staircase which may come from an earlier house, with a continuous
twisted newel post between first floor and attic ceiling.
Panelling of mid C19 in rooms in south east winq. Several
inserted fine C18 fireplaces and one early C17 fireplace. (David
Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds,
Listing NGR: SP0767804929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings