History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kempsford Manor and West Wing

A Grade II Listed Building in Kempsford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.67 / 51°40'11"N

Longitude: -1.7739 / 1°46'26"W

OS Eastings: 415729

OS Northings: 196823

OS Grid: SU157968

Mapcode National: GBR 4T3.8B6

Mapcode Global: VHB31.69J4

Entry Name: Kempsford Manor and West Wing

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128950

Location: Kempsford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Kempsford

Built-Up Area: Fairford Airfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Kempsford with Whelford

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Whelford

Listing Text

SU 19 NE KEMPSFORD KEMPSFORD VILLAGE
(south side)

8/105 Kempsford Manor and West Wing
(formerly listed as Kempsford Manor)

4.6.52
II

Formerly one large house, now divided into two. Main part
early/mid C18, with service wing of 1868 (dated, with initials
"GAGE" on north side). Coursed rubble stone with quoins, stone
slate roof hipped on C18 block and with projecting stone eaves
cornice, scattered tall stone stacks. Double hipped range with
main front to east of 2 storeys and attic, and additional service
wings to west of 2 storeys. East front has 5 windows, four 12-
pane sashes with quoins and central smaller leaded wood mullion and
transom in similar surround. Ground floor has central half-glazed
door with margin lights and 2 lower flush panels, decorative radial
fanlight and remains of leadwork from former gabled porch now
removed. On either side, 2 large floor to ceiling canted bays of
5/15/5-pane sashes. 4 small hipped dormers and one on south end.
Entrance on north side with early C20 stone porch and double half-
glazed doors, probably C19. West Wing, in former service wing,
has 3 widely spaced 12-pane sashes on first floor arid 5 twin
replaced casements on ground floor with nearly central C20 gabled
stone porch. Back of whole range has cambered stone arched
windows on ground floor and plain sashes, mostly 12-pane, on first
floor, and small single storey projecting wing.


Listing NGR: SU1572996823

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.