History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 5 Monuments About 4 1/2 Metres South of South East Corner of South Transept in Churchyard of Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Maiseyhampton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.699 / 51°41'56"N

Longitude: -1.8319 / 1°49'54"W

OS Eastings: 411715

OS Northings: 200038

OS Grid: SP117000

Mapcode National: GBR 3R9.KN0

Mapcode Global: VHB2T.6KDF

Entry Name: Group of 5 Monuments About 4 1/2 Metres South of South East Corner of South Transept in Churchyard of Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341312

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129084

Location: Maiseyhampton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Maiseyhampton

Built-Up Area: Meysey Hampton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Meysey Hampton with Marston Meysey

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Meysey Hampton

Listing Text

SP 10 SW MAISEYHAMPTON CHURCH STREET
(east side)

4/242 Meysey Hampton
Group of 5 Monuments about 4.5m
south of south-east corner of south
transept in churchyard of Church of
St Mary the Virg)

GV II

Two chest tombs to east and 3 head stones in front to west.
Limestone.
Chest tombs: To south, Henry Lane died 1820. Moulded plinth and
capping on tall double base, plain frieze. Plain ends with incised
moulding and reeded side strips turning corner to form reeded
pilasters flanking raised side panels with low relief decoration to
south and fielded panel to north, 3-step tent top.
To north, Unidentified, died 1797. Moulded plinth and capping,
plain frieze. Cartouche to west end, plain east end, low relief
surround to sides with inscription to north. Small bale top with
panelled decoration and fluted concave ends.
Headstones: from left to right: 1) Plain small stone inscribed
"JE 1775 / EE 1780". 2) Slightly larger stone with central cherub
head, hourglass to right and device, probably a book, to left,
inscription obliterated. Probably late C18. 3) Large stone with
winged cherub at top and elaborate low relief surround to
indecipherable inscription. Probably mid/late C18.


Listing NGR: SP1171500038

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.