This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8845 / 51°53'4"N
Longitude: -1.9826 / 1°58'57"W
OS Eastings: 401292
OS Northings: 220656
OS Grid: SP012206
Mapcode National: GBR 2MG.X5C
Mapcode Global: VHB1R.LW7R
Entry Name: Whittington Court
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129247
Location: Whittington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Whittington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Whittington St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 SW WHITTINGTON WHITTINGTON VILLAGE
2/142 Whittington Court
Manor house. Probably begun by Richard Cotton, died 1556 (q.v.
brass in neighbouring church) C16, late C17-early C18, kitchen wing
added 1929. Ashlar, stone slate roof. Rectangular plan to C16
range with late C17-early C18 east wing at right angles to main
body, C20 kitchen range right of C16 main body (probably on site of
former west wing, possibly destroyed by fire). Extension housing
stairs in angle between east wing and C16 main body at rear.
Entrance front; C16 main body, 3 storeys with 3 gables lit by 3-
light metal casements, some with diamond leaded panes and early
window glass within hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned surrounds,
triangular pediments over each window. Central and left-hand bay
lit by 4-light hollow-chamfered, stone-mullioned casements with
transoms and king mullions, similar window lighting ground floor of
central gable, with rectangular leaded panes. Early studded
panelled door within finely moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround with
bag stops. Four-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casement
above. Band and string over ground and first floor windows.
Right-hand gable may originally have marked the centre of the
building with 2-storey porch (now demolished) C19, 1½ storey
extension at front of right-hand gable conceals a plank door within
moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround with panelled spandrels. Early
studded plank door with flat-chamfered shouldered surround in left-
hand wall of C19 extension. Two, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned
casements, one with transom, lighting front of kitchen range. Late
C17-early C18 east wing projects forwards slighty left. Eight-
light, 2 storey canted bay with transom and king mullion. Hollow
and stepped mouldings to mullions. String above ground floor
window, band above first floor window. East side of west wing 4-
windowed, all 4-light stone-mullioned casements with king mullions.
Most casements with rectangular leaded panes. Two hipped roof
dormers, one with 2-light casement the other with 3-light casement,
both with leaded panes. Gabled left-hand wall of stairs projection
in angle left; lit by 3-light stone-mullioned windows with
transoms, 3-light stone-mullioned casement upper right. String and'
bands stepped under and over windows. Band and string over first
floor windows continued for short distance along south facing wall
(in slightly different plane to remainder of wall). Segmental
rainwater head dated and initialled 'T.T. 1763' (Thomas Tracey).
Gable left of rainwater head with 3-light hollow-chamfered stone-
mullioned casement towards apex, one light with diamond leaded
panes. Oriel window below with hollow-moulded stone-mullions. C19
plank door within finely moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround with
panelled spandrels to ground floor. C19 open-fronted single 2-bay
summer house/store with circular stone dividing pier dividing bays
right in angle between west wing and stairs projection. Roof of
main body; saddleback gable end coping, pointed finials, axial,
lateral and gable end stacks. Early C18 hipped roof in east wing.
Interior: hall contains C16-C17 'Tudor'-arched fireplace with
moulded surround and defaced stops, similar C19 fireplace with
moulded mantelshelf. C18 fielded panelling within entrance hall.
Fine late C17 open well staircase with turned balusters and newels
with strapwork enrichment, formerly with pendants and finials. Dog
gate with splat balusters. Magnificent carved stone Renaissance
chimney'piece of two superimposed orders in Artisan Mannerist style
in library; large gadrooned consoles either side of 'Tudor'-arched
fireplace, Doric order above, moulded overmantel with oval
strapwork enriched cartouche at centre flanked by inverted splayed
pilasters with Ionic capitals (fireplace may not be in its original
position). Stylized foliate frieze above room at rear of east wing
contains C17 'Tudor'-arched fireplace with moulded surround and
shelf supported on brackets with pendant drops. Two similar
fireplaces in upstairs rooms, two of which also contain corner
cupboards incorporating nulled C17 panelling and fluted newels.
Numerous tall round-headed stone archways with keystone and imposts
throughout house. Rafter and purlin roof open to top foor.
History: House built by John Cotton in 1556 on earlier moated
site. Subsequently passed to Sir John Denham, died 1669, Surveyor
General to Charles II, it then passed through the female line to
the Earls of Derby and by the mid-late C18 belonged to Thomas
Tracey, died 1770, (owner of Sandywell Park q.v.). Misses Timbrell
and Mrs. Rebecca Lighbourne inherited the property but left no
heir, the house passing to Mr. Walter Lawrence Morris and
subsequently to his descendants who adopted the name Lawrence.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979, and
Gloucestershire Countryside 1955-58, Vol IX, p 177-8 and p 185.
Listing NGR: SP0129220656
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings