History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Driffield, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6966 / 51°41'47"N

Longitude: -1.8934 / 1°53'36"W

OS Eastings: 407463

OS Northings: 199767

OS Grid: SU074997

Mapcode National: GBR 3R7.N39

Mapcode Global: VHB2S.4MD7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129319

Location: Driffield, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Driffield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Driffield (including Harnhill)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Ampney Crucis

Listing Text

DRIFFIELD DRIFFIELD VILLAGE
SU 09 NE
(east side)
9/24 Church of St. Mary
26.11.58
GV II*
Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, restored 1734, and in
1863 possibly by William Butterfield. Coursed rubble stone with
quoins to east, on plinth on north side, stone slate roof with
coped verges and cross saddlestones. Partially projecting west
tower, nave and south porch, chancel. Tower of 3 stages without
offsets or string courses (except for base), corbelled cornice and
parapet. Single lancet to west on lower stages, twin louvred
belfry openings around top stages. Restored porch with pointed
archway and offset plinth with open traceried window on left side
and niche inside on right. Flanking lancets in nave wall. Chancel
south wall has single lancet and Decorated 2-light, stepped triple
lancet to east end and blind north wall. Three single lancets in
north wall of nave.
Interior: braced collar beam roof to nave and chancel. Box pews in
nave with Creed and Pater boards at west end. Series of marble
wall monuments in chancel to Hanger family. "Reredos" surround to
altar set with encaustic tiles. Stained glass by Alexander Gibbs.
(David Verey, Buildin9s of England - Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds, 1979).


Listing NGR: SU0746399767

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.