This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7463 / 51°44'46"N
Longitude: -1.7114 / 1°42'41"W
OS Eastings: 420019
OS Northings: 205323
OS Grid: SP200053
Mapcode National: GBR 4S7.D4W
Mapcode Global: VHC04.9C3N
Entry Name: Kingshill
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127438
Location: Eastleach, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Eastleach
Built-Up Area: Eastleach Martin
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Eastleach St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
EASTLEACH EASTLEACH TURVILLE
(previously listed as Greenberry
Large detached house. South part probably mid-late C17, dated
R.D.B. 1738, restored 1955; north part added c1830. Coursed
rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two
parallel ranges with link; 2-storey with attic. South front:
long restored range with recessed chamfered mullioned casements of
2, 3 and 4 lights. Central C20 gabled porch. Two ridge-mounted
ashlar chimneys with plain caps. East end: gable end of restored
south range to left with datestone and C18 or C19 'medieval'
chimney used as finial. Parapet gabled end of north range to right
has cusped traceried Gothick fenestration of Decorated and
Perpendicular type, 3 in canted crenellated ground floor bay
window, 4-light to upper floor and attic 3-light without cusping to
intersecting tracery. North side: stone 2-light casement to c1830
wing; eaves-mounted chimney with moulded cap. Projecting gabled
wing to rear of south range; lower part to right links with early
C19 former barn, now garages.
Interior: high moulded ceiling to main room of Gothick addition,
with matching panelled door and marble fireplace. Stained glass is
said to have come from Tewkesbury Abbey. Unusual bolection moulded
architrave to nearby doorway has Chinese-style painting, now
slightly damaged. Important position overlooking Leach valley.
Medieval chimney, possibly associated with house, stands in garden
to south east (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, 'Eastleach Turville' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.
61-69; A.P. Ledger, Eastleach Martin and Eastleach Turville, 1974;
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP2001905323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings