History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Southrop, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7299 / 51°43'47"N

Longitude: -1.7086 / 1°42'30"W

OS Eastings: 420221

OS Northings: 203502

OS Grid: SP202035

Mapcode National: GBR 4SF.DVY

Mapcode Global: VHC04.BSL7

Entry Name: The Mill House

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 5 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341420

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127472

Location: Southrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Southrop

Built-Up Area: Southrop

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Southrop St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Eastleach

Listing Text

SOUTHROP SOUTHROP VILLAGE
SP 1903-2003
14/224 The Mill House
(previously listed as
Corn Mill)
23.1.52
II
Former mill, now detached house. Early-mid C17; converted to
house 1966. Random rubble limestone; rubble chimneys; stone
slate roof. Two-storey with attic; L-plan with various attached
former outbuildings on south side. West end: C20 restored
mullioned casement to each floor; 2 eaves-mounted gabled dormers.
South side: projecting chimney and gabled projection, possibly for
staircase, to end of range to left, ball finial to gable; 2
single-light recessed chamfered casements. Attached outbuilding
encloses small courtyard; rubble chimneys; various recessed
chamfered mullioned 2 and 3-light casements, all without
hoodmoulds. C20 restored mullioned casement in single-storey
range running east, the end part being converted to garage. North
side: ball finials to gables; fenestration mostly C20 restored.
Interior not inspected. An accumulation resulting in a very
picturesque composition by the mill stream at the east end of the
village. Was in use as a corn mill c1912, thereafter used to pump
water to Southrop Manor (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, 'Southrop' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp.129-136)


Listing NGR: SP2022803496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.