This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7447 / 51°44'40"N
Longitude: -1.793 / 1°47'34"W
OS Eastings: 414390
OS Northings: 205127
OS Grid: SP143051
Mapcode National: GBR 4S3.HJD
Mapcode Global: VHB2M.VDZW
Entry Name: Vicarage and 2 Adjoining Archways
Listing Date: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127386
Location: Coln St. Aldwyns, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Coln St. Aldwyns
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Coln St Aldwyn St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
COLN ST ALDWYNS CHURCH ROAD
12/137 Vicarage and 2 adjoining archways
Detached vicarage. Mid C18. Rebuilt c1840; enlarged 1857 and
1875; altered 1911. Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar and brick
rebuilt chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic; two
attached archways on north side, one bridging church path. South
front: originally 3-window fenestration, 12-pane sashes with plain
surrounds. Left window replaced by canted 2-storey bay window
with hipped roof. Formerly central doorway with oval arch and
flat porch hood with brackets and Tuscan pilasters; panelled door-
with cobweb fanlight. Front extended to right by one window.
Central gabled roof dormer. East end: 1875 addition projects
forward to right with pointed archways to porch; buttressed south
east corner. North side: 2 roll moulded parapet gables with
flower head finials. Three-window fenestration, all Tudor arched
mullioned casements with hoodmoulds. Lower part to left is linked
to 1914-1919 war memorial arch. Garden wall to right has moulded
4-central archway with flanking octagonal buttresses; decorative
iron gate. Interior not inspected. Vicarage and archways have
important position next to Church of St. John the Baptist (q.v.).
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Coln St Aldwyn's in V.C.H. Glos. vii, pp 44-55)
Listing NGR: SP1439005127
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings