History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bearpackers Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6403 / 51°38'25"N

Longitude: -2.3481 / 2°20'53"W

OS Eastings: 376007

OS Northings: 193558

OS Grid: ST760935

Mapcode National: GBR 0MF.163

Mapcode Global: VH95G.810C

Entry Name: Bearpackers Almshouses

Listing Date: 16 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341558

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128040

Location: Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Wotton-under-Edge

Built-Up Area: Wotton-under-Edge

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Wotton-under-Edge with Ozleworth

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Wotton under Edge

Listing Text

ST 79 SE WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE ADEY'S LANE
3/1 (south)

Bearpackers Almshouses

II

Almshouses. Dated 1818. Squared and coursed dressed stone, ashlar dressings, welsh
slate roof. Two long narrow, separated blocks, forming L; five Cotswold gables to
each. All chimney stacks in brick. Each five-dwelling block with two-light window to
gable and small one-light alongside to upper floor, and three-light under continuous
string to ground floor all with iron casements; hollow chamfer mouldings. Plank doors
(with nail-head pattern to upper block) under four-centred arches beneath string,
dropped labels in form of blank shields, and decorated spandrels containing initials
'A' and 'B'.
Right hand block stepped to slope, each dwelling contained in coped gable. Outermost
gable of each block with commemorative tablet in form of Greek Stele; inscriptions
worn, but refer endowment 1837 five men and five women; restored and rededicated 1967.
Group faces triangular garden contained in brick wall with weathered stone coping, and
two plain iron gates set to large single stone square weathered piers.


Listing NGR: ST7600793558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.