This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6836 / 51°41'0"N
Longitude: -2.1561 / 2°9'21"W
OS Eastings: 389305
OS Northings: 198325
OS Grid: ST893983
Mapcode National: GBR 1NF.FQ0
Mapcode Global: VH955.LY07
Entry Name: The Dower House
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128303
Location: Avening, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Avening
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Avening Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 89 NE AVENING NAG'S HEAD LANE
3/27 No. 4 (The Dower House)
House. Dated 1704 with initals H
1704 over door. Coursed and
dressed stone, Cotswold stone slate roof, 2 stone ridge stacks.
Single range with wing of 1973 to left, 2 gables centre south front
with one single large gable to north, and former stable/animal
house to right now incorporated in house. 2 storeys, and attic
with single stone light in each gable under hoodmould. First floor
has two 2-light stone mullion and transom windows with hoodmoulds.
Ground floor has similar with central doorcase with moulded jambs
and lintel and continuous hoodmould across door and flanking
windows. Inscription panel and sundial above door. Right hand
wing has 3 ground floor paired casements of C20 and long double row
of columbaria above, with one gabled dormer.
Listing NGR: ST8930598325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings