This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8842 / 51°53'3"N
Longitude: -1.7592 / 1°45'33"W
OS Eastings: 416670
OS Northings: 220656
OS Grid: SP166206
Mapcode National: GBR 4QF.S2W
Mapcode Global: VHB1W.GWBX
Entry Name: Sherborne House and Gates and Gatepiers to Road
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 12 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126496
Location: Bourton-on-the-Water, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Bourton-on-the-Water
Built-Up Area: Bourton-on-the-Water
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bourton-on-the-Water with Clapton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 SHERBORNE STREET
(formerly listed as house
7 yds south-west of Duke
of Wellington Inn) and
gates and gatepiers to road
SP 1620 NE 3/24 25.8.60
Also called Stay Awhile.
Late Cl7, restored. Coursed rubble with quoins and dressings, Cotswold stone roof.
Two storeys and attic, 3 bays, the outer ones gabled. Two and 3 light stone
mullion windows with drip moulds. Steep pitched roof with 3 ashlar stacks on ridge.
Two windows to street, one in gable, one in rear wing.
Circa 1890's porch to studded oak door in centre of south front within Tudor arch.
Interior: large ground floor fireplace with shelves; beside it to left an iron
studded door from Northleach jail.
The gates, dated 1897, are wrought-iron in C18 style: 2 gates with small panels and
overthrow flanked by rubble piers; pedestrian gate in similar style to right.
Listing NGR: SP1667020656
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings