This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9473 / 51°56'50"N
Longitude: -2.211 / 2°12'39"W
OS Eastings: 385593
OS Northings: 227665
OS Grid: SO855276
Mapcode National: GBR 1K1.ZRS
Mapcode Global: VH93Z.MBH1
Entry Name: Apperley Court
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126568
Location: Deerhurst, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Deerhurst
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Deerhurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 82 NE
3/27 Apperley Court
Country house. C18; 1817-'18 by J. Collingwood for Mrs
Strickland, later extensions after 1845 for Strickland family.
Smooth render lined as ashlar to front and part left return;
roughcast to part rear, English-bond brickwork, front roof slated,
rear tiled. Seven-window front, 2½ storeys, with ground-floor
verandah; various rear wings, part 2 floor, part 3, producing
irregular plan. Front elevation to garden: end bays slightly set
back. Central, single-storey portico, 4 Ionic pilasters, infilled
glazed screen with marginal lights; double French doors centre;
moulded cornice, flat roof. Each side a verandah full length
front, up 2 stone steps, 4-bay open front, cast iron columns,
decorative ironwork to eaves, half-bay each side of centre infilled
with wooden glazed screen with marginal lights: hipped roof at
ends. Behind, each side 24-pane sash, 2 pairs French doors up one
stone step. Above seven 16-pane sashes, louvred shutters, plain
string course and parapet. Seven gabled dormers, each 2-light
casement; main roof hipped, chimneys on ridge, one bay in from
each end and to right of centre bay. Canted bay on right return.
Left return, plinth, wide sash window, half-glazed door, in recess
up 2 stone steps, rectangular light over; 3 large sashes, with
panelled shutters internally. Above; blind window, sash with
ornamental blind box over, 3 sashes with louvred shutters. String
course, parapet and dormer on right as front. Hipped roof, chimney
on ridge to left of door. To left, lower brick wing.
Interior: main stair hall stone paved, stairs elliptical, fretwork
ends to treads, moulded handrail sweeps down as newel at bottom,
ending in lion's foot. Six-panel doors, dummy fielding, reeded
surrounds with corner paterae. Two semi-circular niches with
shaped shelves to stair walls; modillion cornice, laylight over.
Room behind portico, marginal lights to doors to portico, anthemion
instead of circular patera in doorcases, dado rail. Room to left
of portico reeded marble fireplace surround with corner patera,
dado rail. Moulded plaster cornices to front rooms. At rear of
right end on ground floor 2 W.C's and washbasin room, panelled
wooden casing and cupboards, dado tiling. Blue patterned W.C.
pans and washbasins with brass taps. Three-bay, 2-storey farmhouse
before 1817; left end bay added to 1817-18 house after 1845, right
bay and dormers later; 1898 proposed billiard room not built.
(Three pictures at Apperley Court; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the
Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; H. Colvin, A Biographical
Dictionary of British Architects, 1978)
Listing NGR: SO8559327665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings