This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0113 / 52°0'40"N
Longitude: -1.7643 / 1°45'51"W
OS Eastings: 416273
OS Northings: 234788
OS Grid: SP162347
Mapcode National: GBR 4NV.YK9
Mapcode Global: VHB19.CQM0
Entry Name: Crown Inn and Victoria Friendly Society Premises
Listing Date: 26 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126801
Location: Blockley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Blockley
Built-Up Area: Blockley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Blockley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 1634 NW 9/15 BLOCKLEY HIGH STREET
Crown Inn and
Circa 1700. Two and a half storeys. Coursed, squared rubble, chamfered eaves
course. Slate roof with coped verges to right, ashlar chimney with moulded capping to
left, brick chimney to right of centre. Stone slates to rear. Two gabled dormers,
centre and left. Four windows on 1st floor, 3 on ground floor, 3-light mullioned
casements, drips on ground floor. Segmental keyed coachway arch to right for yard.
Entrance to inn now in coachway. Large taller extension to rear south-west with a
3-light mullioned window facing yard. Hipped former stair turret in centre. The
premises of the Victoria and Friendly Society, were established, see tablet, in 1837, and
form an Assembly Room extending beyond the Crown Inn: a large outbuilding of 2 storeys
in rubble with ashlar dressings and quoins; moulded eaves course, slate roof with
coped verges; 4 windows on 1st floor, glazing bar sashes; 2 segmental archways on
ground floor to left, presumably for storage and coaches. Still used for Mummers
plays etc after sale by Friendly Society in 1872.
Listing NGR: SP1627334788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings