This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0901 / 52°5'24"N
Longitude: -1.7659 / 1°45'57"W
OS Eastings: 416139
OS Northings: 243555
OS Grid: SP161435
Mapcode National: GBR 4MW.Y3F
Mapcode Global: VHB0X.BQTL
Entry Name: Manor House and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126998
Location: Mickleton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Mickleton
Built-Up Area: Mickleton (Cotswold)
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Mickleton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/12/2016
CHURCH LANE (east side)
Manor House and attached walls
Manor House. C17, altered C18, enlarged and remodelled in a C17 style 1887-91 under patronage of Sydney Graves Hamilton.
Ashlar limestone with limestone slate roof, with flat coped gables and roll-cross finials. Slate and glass roof over C19 infill of courtyard towards described facade to road.
Polygonal lantern with leaded roof over C19 stair turret. 4 triple diagonal stacks from facade all with moulded tops. C17 block formerly 'U' shaped in plan. C19 2-gabled rear entrance inserted in place of courtyard and an extension added to right wall to form main entrance with rectangular C19 stair turret attached to gable end, projecting from described facade. Façade: 2 storeys with attic, 5 gables. Rectangular stair turret projecting forward right with moulded string near top. 6-windowed, 2-light stone mullioned casements, 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned and transomed casements most with stopped hoods. Flat chamfered mullions. C19, half glazed, plank door, off centre left in 4-centred arched surround with stopped hood and roll moulded surround. Large scratch sundial on gable left with inscription NOLI CONFIDERE NOCTI. Insurance plaque below. Left wall forms most complete survival of C17 Manor House: principal gable left, 2 Cotswold dormers right. All with pointed and roll-cross finials. Bulls-eye windows towards apex of Cotswold dormers. Windows to ground and first floors: 3-light, flat-chamfered, stone mullioned windows and 4 and 6-light mullioned and transomed window. The latter with King mullions. Lead, rainwater head, initialled and dated M G 1744 rear left.
Subsiduary features: curving wall attached to left end wall. C18, squared and dressed limestone 3 ashlar piers with fielded panels, flanking entrance to former rear yard. 2 piers flanking entrance to former rear yard have original moulded tops one with ball finial. Third pier within wall to right with C19/20 moulded top and square lantern. 4-centred arched doorway far right. Another wall running forward from left wall of main body with 2 round-headed arches one blocked and 4-centred arched doorway also.
Interior: C17 dogleg staircase with turned balusters and closed string. 2 large salting vats in dairy situated at N corner of C17 block.
History: The poet and landscape gardener, William Shenstone, stayed at the Manor House in about 1750; planting inspired by him is still visible in the area.
Rear wall refronted c1887-91 when its C18 facade and attached library wing were removed up the hill to Kiftsgate Court (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP1614343540
Other nearby listed buildings