History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churcham County Primary School and Attached House

A Grade II Listed Building in Churcham, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8661 / 51°51'57"N

Longitude: -2.3494 / 2°20'57"W

OS Eastings: 376036

OS Northings: 218665

OS Grid: SO760186

Mapcode National: GBR 0JJ.SZR

Mapcode Global: VH949.7C9B

Entry Name: Churcham County Primary School and Attached House

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125535

Location: Churcham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Churcham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bulley St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Elmore

Listing Text

SO 71 NE CHURCHAM A 40
(north side)

11/2 Churcham County Primary School
and attached house


II


School and house: about 1856. Flemish bond red brick, with yellow
dressings and some blue bricks, stone windows to school, and stone
to offsets; tiled roof, in coloured bands. 'L' plan house, 2-
storey, upper half in roof, 3 windows wide, built against and with
'T' plan single-storey school, porches as serifs to cross piece.
Elevation to road, house on left; brick plinth, central door with
weather-boarded, gabled porch, Each side 3-light timber mullioned
windows, cast-iron decorative casements, under low-pointed arch
with stone keystone: splayed reveals. Above similar 2-light
windows at ends, partly in low gables, with projecting stepped
yellow bricks to verge. In centre 3 conjoined diamonds in
projecting blue brick, enclosing yellow and red bricks; slight
projection of yellow brick eaves course. Gable chimney on left with
stone offsets. School to right, slightly lower: main gable
projects; brick plinth, buttress on left towards house, on right
towards road. 3-light, geometric-tracery window, hoodmould with
large, uncarved stone stops. Above arch of alternating 3 blue, 3
yellow bricks; blue brick St Andrew's cross in gable; yellow brick
verge as house, On right side low, gabled porch, with 3-light
flat-headed stone window. Doorway on right return chamfered stone
surround, pointed arch: original boarded door at back of porch.
Above, blue brick cross in gable. In centre of right return
projecting wing with gable as that facing road; near top 2 stone
corbels, with plain wall above, probably carried bellcote. Base of
chimney on ridge. On either side a low wing, gabled left,
with behind, on main cross piece a triangular dormer with plain,
stone window. Porches beyond, projecting from ends of main cross
piece.
Interior, roof hidden by late C20 ceiling, but feet of trusses
visible, rising from stone corbels. (Kelly's Gloucestershire
Directory, 1870).


Listing NGR: SO7603618665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.