This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0088 / 52°0'31"N
Longitude: -2.4677 / 2°28'3"W
OS Eastings: 367993
OS Northings: 234591
OS Grid: SO679345
Mapcode National: GBR FX.HNHH
Mapcode Global: VH860.5RSX
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125913
Location: Dymock, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, HR8
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Dymock
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Preston St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 63 SE
4/95 Church of St. John the Baptist
Parish Church. Late Cll, C13, C14, 1859, 1885 restoration.
Roughly squared random rubble, ashlar dressings, coursed squared
stone to south aisle, tiled roof. Porch timber-framed, rendered
panels on stone plinth, stone-slate roof. Nave, south aisle,
chancel, vestry, north porch. North, entrance facade: on right
square-set C19 buttress: gabled porch, low plinth, 2-panel high
framing at sides, open end, ovolo mould to posts and arch braces to
tie beam, 2 collars over, scalloped bargeboards, iron cross on
ridge. Internally, collar truss with curved braces, clasped
purlins, row hatpegs on backboard on. left . Covers square-headed
doorway, chamfered reveals, semi-circular tympanum with Agnus Dei
and dummy voussoirs: boarded door. To left of porch vertical
joint in stonework: round-headed lancet, on left paired lancets
with trefoil heads: large, square-set buttress with 2 offsets.
Parapet gable each end: roll on apex at east: bellcote west.
Chancel same width as nave: plinth: trefoil-headed lancet on
right, paired 1885 lancets left, trefoil heads, diagonally-set
corner buttress. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with stone
cross, crested ridge tiles. East end, plinth, diagonally-set
corner buttresses, twin lancets, trefoil heads. Oval wall monument
on right, E. Palmer, 1795. Set back on left lean-to gable to Cl9
vestry. West end, plinth, buttress on left, 2 central projections
rising to support bellcote, 2 offsets each side. Between, set back
2 lancets, one above other, upper semi-circular head, lower
trefoil. On right lean-to gable of south aisle. Projections
linked by arch, offsets each side above roof behind: moulded
string course. Twin arched openings for bellcote, trefoil above:
coped gable with iron weatherwane on apex. Interior: plastered
walls: wide, probably C19 chancel arch. Three-bay arcade to
aisle, circular pillars, moulded caps and bases. No clerestory.
Nave roof arch-braced collar purlin. Piscina in chancel below west
window on north: low sills to north and south windows at east end.
Facetted boarded, panelled ceiling. Pulpit open 7-sided timber,
trefoil heads to sides over clustered columns, low stone base:
matching communion rail. Octagonal stone font on stem, quatrefoils
to sides of bowl (C19). A little medieval glass in one south aisle
window. Baroque monument to Anne Robbins in nave (1658). Other
wall monuments, C17 to second quarter C19. Bellcote and associated
work to west wall probably of same date as south aisle, added 1859.
Chancel, restored 1885. Forms group with Preston Court (q.v.).
(Kelly's Gloucestershire, 1879; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the
Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO6799234591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings