History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Redmarley D'abitot, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9796 / 51°58'46"N

Longitude: -2.3621 / 2°21'43"W

OS Eastings: 375227

OS Northings: 231302

OS Grid: SO752313

Mapcode National: GBR 0H4.X6W

Mapcode Global: VH93Q.0HMS

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 2 October 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341976

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125971

Location: Redmarley D'abitot, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Redmarley D'Abitot

Built-Up Area: Redmarley D'Abitot

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Redmarley d'Abitot St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Redmarley D ľAbitot

Listing Text

REDMARLEY D'ABITOT THE CAUSEWAY
SO 73 SE (east side)

6/152 Church of St. Bartholomew
2.10.54

GV II

Parish church. Medieval base to tower; 1738 upper part tower;
rest of church 1855 by Francis Niblett. Tower squared, coursed
stone approaching ashlar: remainder coursed, squared, nearly rock-
faced stone, with lighter ashlar dressings: tiled roof. West
tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, north vestry, south porch.
Three stage tower: west face plinth, diagonal corner buttresses,
rising full height, upper parts slight projection only. Two-
light, Y-tracery window, ovolo moulded (1738) in cavetto surround:
small, flat-headed lancet second stage, 2-light, Y-tracery window
with louvres top stage, square recess and moulding. Moulded
strings between stages and above third, crenellated battlements,
bases at corners for diagonally-set pinnacles, since removed.
South face: tower as west but bottom stage plain, marks from
sharpening arrows in plinth. Nave: diagonal corner buttress,
gabled top: short parapet gable to tower. Two-light Decorated
tracery window, hoodmould, head stops. Boarded door in arched,
moulded surround, under timber-framed porch on low stone walls:
gable opening with pierced spandrels, reticulated tracery to side
lights, boarded gable, shaped bargeboards. Two 3-light
reticulated tracery windows each side. Roof alternating 2 rows
plain, 2 rows fish-scale tiles. To right similar window as left
of porch, square-set buttress, further 2-light window (tracery
different in each), diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable, base
for cross at apex. Chancel, plinth, 2 lancets each side of a
boarded door up one stone step, decorative hinges, shouldered arch,
hoodmould. Crested ridge tiles. East end, plinth, diagonal
corner buttresses to chancel; 3 stepped lancets, parapet gable
with floriate cross on cross-gablet apex. Vestry gable set back
on right, boarded door on left under arched head with hoodmould.
Two-light window, reticulated tracery, flat head, hoodmould with
leaf stops. Diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable, cross-
gablet chimney outlet on apex, trefoil openings in gables. Aisle
gable behind, spherical triangle in top, foiled, with hoodmould in
parapet gable. Square-set gabled buttress.
Interior: nave plastered, 3-bay arcade, moulded capitals and
bases, hoodmould with head stops at ends only: no clerestorey.
Plain arch to chancel, moulded top only. Exposed rafters, arch-
braced collar trusses, foiling in spandrels and top, rising from
corbels with ballflower decoration: half trusses with collars
only. North aisle roof as nave but simpler: plain east end.
Chancel, sill to east window on south taken down as sedilia: east
end 3 lancets with hoodmoulds and corner columns, blind tracery
each side. Pointed boarded vault, in panels. Painted stone
pulpit, blind tracery to sides, corbelled off head near floor
level. Octagonal stone font with blind tracery, on stem.
Communion rails early C18 with return ends: turned balusters.
Pews good C19, blind Gothic tracery to ends. Thirteen late C18,
early C19 wall monuments, 1609 brass on strapwork background, two
fine monuments on west end nave. Hatchment and benefactions board
in tower, also 1704 headstone and 1757 chest. Forms group with
Church House, The Inn House and Old Cottage (q.v.).
(The Rev. H. M. Niblett, A Short History of Redmarley d'Abitot,
1928/1981; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1970.)


Listing NGR: SO7522731302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.