History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0517 / 52°3'6"N

Longitude: -1.7775 / 1°46'38"W

OS Eastings: 415356

OS Northings: 239279

OS Grid: SP153392

Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.7FY

Mapcode Global: VHB13.4PPJ

Entry Name: Court House

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342016

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126088

Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Campden

Listing Text

1.
5224 CALF'S LANE
(east side)

Court House
SP 1539 SW 9/38

II* 25.8.60


2.
Early C17; presumably contemporary with Old Campden Manor. Ashlar, with a Cotswold
stone roof, continuous moulded bands at first and second floor levels. A rectangular
range backing onto the street; the central area of the upper parts bearing in notibly.
3 storeys, 6 windows, 2, 3 and 4 light stone mullioned casements. Central flat arched
doorway and blocked 4-centred one to left. Four ridge stacks, the end ones paired,
set square, and decorated; the central ones taller, 2 of the shafted set diagonally
with moulded caps and enrichments.
East on Garden Front. This front shows both C18 and mid C19 alterations. Two C19
bays, one 2 storeyed and other mullion and transom windows. Two first floor sashes
with glazing bars. Large stone buttress.
Two storey extension on south end. The 'arrow-slit' vents in south gable. The
house is probably a conversion of the Old Manor stables after the house was destroyed
in the Civil War in 1645 when it was burnt to prevent it falling into the hands of
the Parliament.


Listing NGR: SP1536039282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.