History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Island House and Garden Walls to East

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.05 / 52°3'0"N

Longitude: -1.7826 / 1°46'57"W

OS Eastings: 415004

OS Northings: 239094

OS Grid: SP150390

Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.D4P

Mapcode Global: VHB13.1QYT

Entry Name: Island House and Garden Walls to East

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126279

Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Campden

Listing Text

1.
5224 THE SQUARE

Island House and
garden walls to east
SP 1539 SW
SP 1439 SE 9/216 25.8.60

II* GV


2.
Said to have mediaeval and even monastic origins. Consists of a C16 cross-wing
extended to east with 3 gables in late C17 and with irregular lower extensions to
west, and Rosary Cottage (qv). Main part is 2½ storeys rubble with Cotswold stone
roof. North gable retains timber-frame with plaster infil but has C2O casement
windows and angled porch to right. East front has keyed bullseyes to grates (one
dated 1673, the 2 right hand gables have chimneys with cornices - label moulds over
blocked attic windows. Rear extensions: 2½ storeys and gabled to south with first
floor oriel bay and 2 storeys, one window to north in plastered front; angled
ground floor bay and tiled pentice over. Inside: a drain, possibly mediaeval has
been uncovered.
Small garden to east enclosed by 4 ft rubble wall with moulded capping, stepped
down to 2 ft on south side.
One of the buildings in the middle of the High Street which constitute so much to
the character of Chipping Campden.

Listing NGR: SP1500639090

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.