This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5137 / 51°30'49"N
Longitude: -0.1263 / 0°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 530116
OS Northings: 181086
OS Grid: TQ301810
Mapcode National: GBR HC.TK
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R6MX
Entry Name: 36, 38 and 40, Earlham Street
Listing Date: 15 January 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477154
Location: Camden, London, WC2H
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
798-1/105/354 EARLHAM STREET
15-JAN-1973 (South side)
36, 38 & 40
36, 38 and 40 Earlham Street form an early C19 terrace with later shop premises to the ground floor of 36 and 38. The terrace is of four-storeys, plus basement level, and three-bays, in red/brown stock brick with the ground floor façade and a rebuilt parapet in yellow stock brick. A further floor appears to have been added in the late C20, set back from the main facade of the building. It is likely that the terrace was built as three dwellings, although the ground floor level has been subsequently altered. A vehicular entrance has been knocked through the depth of 40, whilst 36 and 38 have been remodelled in the C19, possibly more than once, to accommodate shop premises, and subsequently refurbished in the 1990s. Each shop frontage consists of a central eight-over-eight pane hornless sash window with shutters, flanked by brick panels and vertical batons which contain the shutters when opened. Beneath each window are three wooden panels, the central one angled inwards. To the left of each frontage is a brick panel, and to the right, a door with an overlight. A fascia board runs across the top of each frontage, with a console bracket at the far end of each shop, and one dividing them. The shop frontages, including the brick work, project slightly from the main facade of the building. A photograph from 1959 shows the shop frontages in place, but with earlier shutters with circular apertures. These shutters are still in place in a photograph of 1990 taken during the refurbishment works. The ground floor windows appear to be reproduction, but it is unclear whether all of the joinery to the shop frontages was replaced in the 1990s, or merely repainted. The windows on the upper floors are eight-over-eight pane horned sashes with cambered arches, the first floor windows have modern balconettes. The same 1959 photograph, and further examples from 1974, shows these upper windows as un-horned, so it seems that they have also been replaced.
INTERIOR: The ground floor interiors of 36 and 38 have been stripped out, and the brick work of the interior of 38 has been exposed. The side walls are predominantly red stock brick, whilst the front wall is a mixture of yellow and red stocks, with two stone blocks in the north-east corner. The upper floors were not inspected.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: 36, 38 and 40 Earlham Street are of interest as a surviving example of an early C19 terrace situated within the Seven Dials Conservation Area.
Listing NGR: TQ3011781084
Other nearby listed buildings