History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints and Saint Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ingoldisthorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8657 / 52°51'56"N

Longitude: 0.5102 / 0°30'36"E

OS Eastings: 569069

OS Northings: 332756

OS Grid: TF690327

Mapcode National: GBR P3V.9SX

Mapcode Global: WHKPT.T74D

Entry Name: Church of All Saints and Saint Michael

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342280

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221395

Location: Ingoldisthorpe, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Ingoldisthorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Ingoldisthorpe St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Ingoldisthorpe

Listing Text

TF 63 SE INGOLDISTHORPE

4/11 Church of All Saints
5.6.53. and Saint Michael.

- II*

Parish church. C14 Decorated Perpendicular transitional style, heavily
restored 1857-1858 for the Rev. William Philip Beckett, vicar, presumably
by G.E. Pritchett, architect of the contemporary vicarage (q.v.). Flint
with stone dressings, slated roofs. West tower, nave and clerestorey
with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. West tower the least
over restored part of the church: partly squared, knapped flint, stone
panelled base, set-off angle buttresses to west face. West window of
2-lights, 4 lancets to second stage, 4 2-light belfry windows, battlemented
parapet. North and south aisles with 3 straight headed 2-light Perpendicular
windows. South porch largely mid-C19. Clerestorey with alternating circular
and quatrefoil 2-light windows. Chancel has 3 south and one north 3-light
windows with 4-centred arched heads combining Decorated flowing mouchettes
and quatrefoils with lower Perpendicular tracery. East window with flowing
Decorated tracery inserted 1858 by Pritchett. Interior: Perpendicular
transitional 4 bay north and south nave arcades, with octagonal piers
and double chamfered arches, semi-octagonal respond piers to tower and
chancel arches, double hollow chamfered arches. Octagonal, originally
rectangular Norman font, stone with simple interlace, beaded interlace,
strapwork, Perpendicular stem and C19 base. In tower under west window,
3 brasses of the Rogerson family, the first dated 1608. Decorated-
Perpendicular squared headed tracery roof screen with one central and
4 side lights. C19 roofs, scissors trussed to nave and chancel with wallposts
and corbels carved by W. Brown of King's Lynn. Much High Victorian stained
glass by Michael O'Connor for the Beckett family of Ingoldisthorpe Manor,
1859-1863; chancel north and 3 south windows, tower west window. East
window 1858, perhaps by William Warrington.


Listing NGR: TF6906932756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.