This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8444 / 52°50'39"N
Longitude: 0.5126 / 0°30'45"E
OS Eastings: 569311
OS Northings: 330386
OS Grid: TF693303
Mapcode National: GBR P41.QDK
Mapcode Global: WHKPT.VR8T
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221387
Location: Dersingham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Dersingham
Built-Up Area: Dersingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Dersingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 63 SE DERSINGHAM MANOR ROAD (east)
CHURCH LANE (west)
4/4 Church of St. Nicholas.
Parish church. C14 and C15. Carstone, stone dressings, leaded aisle
roofs, slated nave and chancel. West tower, nave and aisles with clerestorey
and south porch, chancel. Of two major builds, the chancel and nave arcade
of early C14. Decorated nave clerestorey, aisles and west tower early
Perpendicular of c.1370. West tower of 3 stages, rectangular on plan
with moulded plinth of stone, 5-light west window, north and south sides
with single lancets, 4 3-light belfry windows, all Perpendicular. North-
west and south-west buttresses, stone dressed and quoined with 4 set-
offs, north and south buttresses on east face, dressed stone battlemented
parapet with spout heads to each face, 4 C19 standing angels at corners.
At north-east corner a buttressed rectangular stairs tower projection.
6 bay nave and aisles. South aisle with 4 Perpendicular 3-light south
windows and 3-light east and west windows. Mid-late C19 south porch,
2 angle buttresses with 2 set-offs at corners. 6 3-light Perpendicular
clerestorey windows. Sanctus bell-cote and niche over nave east gable.
North aisle 6 bays with corner set-off buttress at north west, 5 square
set buttresses to north face. 3-light Perpendicular west window, north-
west bay blank, reset Decorated north door in next bay, 3 3-light Perpend-
icular north windows, late C19 additional bay at north east with reused
tracery window as vestry. Fine Decorated chancel of 3 bays with 3 2-light
Decorated south windows, 2 with Reticulated tracery, one with simpler
"Y" tracery with trefoils and quatrefoil. South priest's door. At
junction with nave a rectangular traceried panel with 4 quatrefoils, possibly
for external access to sanctus bell above. Fine 5-light Decorated
recticulated tracery east window, all chancel windows have external hood
moulds and head-stops. Interior: 6 bay Decorated nave has octagonal piers
with 8 concave flutes with traceried heads, octagonal bases and capitals,
hood moulds and corbel head stops. Clerestorey above is Perpendicular.
C19 arched braced hammerbeam roof, probably of the £6000 1877-1879
restoration. Decorated tower arch. C14 octagonal stone font with paired
blank traceried arches, wooden font cover with C17 pattern turned balusters
supporting medieval stage with crocketed spirelets, all heavily restored
1914. Re-used bench ends. Fine Decorated chancel arch with head stops,
all chancel windows with internal arches and head stops. Fine Decorated
piscina and sedilia under one common straight hood mould; with stops,
detached shafts with bases and heads with foliage decoration, 4 cinquefoil
arches, trefoils in spandrels, deeply-cut details. 7-light Perpendicular
rood screen late C14 with figures surviving on north side only : S. Agatha,
S. Denys, S. Agnes, S. Hubert, S. Martha and a coped and mitred bishop,
perhaps Simon of Sudbury (obit 1381) Archbishop of Canterbury. Chancel
north side has early C17 classical table tomb monument of the Peel family.
Chancel south side had good C18 wall monuments. South aisle east end
has deep squint looking into chancel and on south side a good C14 Decorated
ogee framed cinquefoil headed piscina with credence shelf surviving.
See W.P. Tippen, A Short History of St. Nicholas Church, Dersingham, Norfolk
Listing NGR: TF6931130386
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings