History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Maragret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wereham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.5868 / 52°35'12"N

Longitude: 0.48 / 0°28'47"E

OS Eastings: 568103

OS Northings: 301667

OS Grid: TF681016

Mapcode National: GBR P73.VHN

Mapcode Global: WHKR5.B7SQ

Entry Name: Church of St Maragret

Listing Date: 5 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221708

Location: Wereham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Wereham

Built-Up Area: Wereham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Wereham

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)
5.7.59 Church of St.Margaret


Parish church. C13, early C14, restored 1866. Carstone, flint and clunch
with ashlar quoins. Slate roofs, the south aisle leaded. West tower, nave,
aisles and chancel. 2 stage tower with short angle buttresses to west. Arched
west door c.1300. Lancets to each face. String course at division of storeys.
2-light 4-centred belfry windows, that to east square above original roof
line. String course below C16 brick crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles.
Wall sundial attached to south face of belfry stage. Aisles with diagonal
west buttresses and 3 flat flanking buttresses framing 3 2-light square-headed
C19 windows. North aisle east buttress is diagonal. 2 wide C19 lancets light
south chancel. Triple lancet east window, all with renewed C19 masonry.
Renewed north chancel lancet to east of C19 lean-to vestry, lit by paired
lancets to east and entered through 2 arched north doors. Interior. Tower
lancets with deep internal splays. 3 bay arcades of quatrefoil piers with
deep hollows between lobes. Capitals and bases renewed 1866. Double
chamfered arches. Plain scissor braced C19 nave roof with 3 tiers butt
purlins. Aisle roofs of principals and purlins, also C19. C14 octagonal
font. Blocked early C13 tower arch replaced by arch of c.1300. Chancel arch
of double hollow chamfers. C19 scissor braced chancel roof boarded and
plastered. Marble wall monument in south aisle to Christopher Adamson 1786:
Ionic pilasters frame inscription tablet and support broken pediment with
apical coat of arms. Apron of black marble carries 2 further coats of arms.
Marble wall monument in south chancel wall to John Heaton 1779: Fluted Doric
pilasters with dentils to base and block architraves with roundels frame
inscriptions tablet. Entablature supports swept plinth with coat of arms
upon which is bust of John Heaton.

Listing NGR: TF6810301667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.