History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of Chapel of St Andrew Circa 80 Metres North of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in East Walton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7153 / 52°42'55"N

Longitude: 0.5787 / 0°34'43"E

OS Eastings: 574280

OS Northings: 316192

OS Grid: TF742161

Mapcode National: GBR P5P.P48

Mapcode Global: WHKQM.V0RP

Entry Name: Ruins of Chapel of St Andrew Circa 80 Metres North of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221938

Location: East Walton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: East Walton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Gayton

Listing Text

EAST WALTON -
TF 71 NW
6/5 Ruins of Chapel of
St. Andrew c.80m
north of Church of
19-10-51 St. Mary
q.v. 6/6
II
Remains of medieval chapel. C12. Chalk and carstone rubble, flint, limestone
dressings; roofless. West gable, north and south walls only. West gable
mainly of flint; large iron conglomerate blocks to base, north quoins and
jambs of central semi-circular headed doorway. Rectangular opening above
doorway, jambs of opening in apex. South wall: blocked 2 bay arcade with
octagonal piers c.1.5m high; doorway in bay to west; 2-light window opening
to bay to east probably C13 with hollow chamfered mouldings. Putlog holes
in interior walls c.2.2m above ground. Within west doorway the base of a
cross shaft, square with stop angles and octagonal socket for shaft. The
chapel belonged to the Augustinian Priory at West Acre (founded c.1135) 4km
to east-south-east. The building is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, Norfolk
227.


Listing NGR: TF7428016192

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.