History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Winch, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7175 / 52°43'3"N

Longitude: 0.502 / 0°30'7"E

OS Eastings: 569094

OS Northings: 316257

OS Grid: TF690162

Mapcode National: GBR P5L.MR7

Mapcode Global: WHKQD.PY8J

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342382

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221943

Location: East Winch, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: East Winch

Built-Up Area: East Winch

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Gayton

Listing Text

EAST WINCH CHURCH LANE
TF 61 NE
5/11 Church of All Saints
15-8-60
II*
Parish church, C14 and C15. Restored 1878 by Sir Gilbert Scott; carstone
rubble part rendered, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south
aisles, south porch, organ bay. 3-stage embattled tower with some iron
conglomerate at base and to west return of south aisle; stepped angle
buttress to north-west; stair turret to south-west angle in form of wide
diagonal buttress with diagonal buttresses, turret parapet with ashlar
panelling; pinnacles to parapet angles. Wide west doorway with 4-centred
arch and figure stops; 3-light west window part renewed breaking string
course, central light with panel tracery, flanking light with quatrefoils;
2nd stage with small narrow trefoil headed lights, string course; 3rd stage
with clock faces of 1908 to east and west, bell openings of 2 cusped lights
under a quatrefoil. Nave of mid C15 built at expense of Elizabeth Howard:
north and south clerestoreys each with 4 2-light openings having super
transoms and panel tracery; gable parapet to nave with medieval stone
bellcote, gable with opening as to clerestorey. North and south aisles both
with lead roofs, diagonal buttresses, 3 buttresses, 3 3-light openings with
panel tracery, brick and flint voussoirs, west windows to aisles as to
clerestorey. Grotesque stops to south aisle hood moulds, scratch dial to
central buttress; north doorway as south but with rebated hood mould, doorway
blocked. C15 south porch of brick, high gable parapet with head of 8-rayed
cross, shaped brick kneelers, diagonal buttresses; south facade with flint
flushwork, tall 4-centred arch in brick with continuous mouldings, niche and
stone sundial above; returns with some carstone, 3-light openings in brick
under 4-centred arch, cusp-headed lights with panel tracery and supermullions
above, lower part of lights blocked; C19 roof to porch; brick capped wall
benches; south doorway part renewed, continuous moulding to equilateral arch,
episcopal head stop to right. C15 door with some muntins and boards renewed,
box braced and nailed to rear with wooden lock and bar. Organ bay attached
to east of south aisle in uncoursed carstone rubble by Sir Gilbert Scott on
site of Howard Chapel. Chancel: diagonal buttresses; mid C19 east window
of five lights of even height with two super transoms, carstone head to
openings, lower jambs of alternate brick and flint. South chancel with some
limestone and some galletted carstone; 4-centred arch to priest's doorway;
3-light opening with panel tracery. North chancel with 2 buttresses, 2
3-light openings with panel tracery as to aisles, one within blocked archway
to former north chapel. Interior: 4 bay arcade north and south, mid C15,
clustered piers with double chamfered arches, the outer being hollow, the
inner with roll chamfer; figure stops to arcade hood. nave roof supported
by stone angle corbels on slender colonettes, hammerbeam roof of 1878. South
aisle with C15 braced roof having moulded principal beams and traceried
spandrels. Tall tower arch with bowtell jambs; C15 tower roof of ties braced
from figure corbels. Tall chancel arch with jambs as nave piers, figure stops,
C15 double frame chancel roof with moulded purlins, restored 1878. Wall posts
from stone corbels renewed 1878. Remnants of double chamfered C14 arch
with polygonal piers and low imposts to former north chapel, similar arch
to organ bay to south of 1878. C14 octagonal font, the gift of the Howard
family, 5 faces with foliage, one with Howard arms, one a shield with cross,
one blank shield; octagonal font cover with crockets and concave sides having
heraldic painting by Sir Ninian Comper, a copy of C17 illustration of original
cover. Large wineglass pulpit of 1876 in burr elm. C18 Hanoverian arms over
tower arch. Two restored C15 bench ends with poppyheads and mythical animals
to front two pews of nave. North aisle with C12 pillar piscina on twisted
stem, 3 panels of C15 screen painted with foliage pattern, fragments of
medieval glass, consecration cross on north wall, two reset coffin lids one
of mid C15 showing mason's square and chisel either side of wheelhead cross.
7 C15 benches with poppyhead bench ends. South aisle with 6 C15 benches
with poppyhead bench ends. Chancel with plain piscina and mural memorial
to Owen Barnes 1670, slate and stone with scrolled broken pediment.


Listing NGR: TF6909416257

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.