History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Gayton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7414 / 52°44'29"N

Longitude: 0.5616 / 0°33'41"E

OS Eastings: 573020

OS Northings: 319053

OS Grid: TF730190

Mapcode National: GBR P5G.4ST

Mapcode Global: WHKQF.LCM6

Entry Name: Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342383

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221949

Location: Gayton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Gayton

Built-Up Area: Gayton (King's Lynn and West N

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Gayton

Listing Text

GAYTON BACK STREET
TF 71 NW
6/17 Hall Farmhouse
19-10-51
II
Farmhouse, late C16 and later. Dated 1587. Colourwashed brick-dressed flint,
pantiles, slate capped gable parapets on moulded brick kneelers. Single
range, 3 cells (6 bays) and chimney bay, 2 storeys; continuous outshut of
1½ storeys to rear. Garden facade to south-west: axial stack to chimney bay
between first and second cell, internal stack to right gable end; dogs tooth
oversailing cornice; ground floor with glazed doorway to left and tripartite
flush sash with glazing bars to right of first cell, 2 flush sashes to second
cell, third cell with glazed French windows and flanking lights to right;
first floor with 2 flush sashes to each cell, that to left of third cell
lowered for stair; blocked opening to middle right of third cell. Windowless
right return with fire insurance plaque; stone at apex inscribed "1587 DWC".
Left return with brick gable having blocked opening, terracotta lion rampant
sinister above (? Fitzalan arms reversed), probably from Augustinian Priory
at Pentney q.v. 10/7. Lower 2 storey polygonal C18 addition with pantile
roof to left return, flush sashes with glazing bars to each floor of south-
west facade. Rear: later continuous 1½ storeyed outshut with oversailing
dogstooth cornice. Interior: through passage in outshut to rear of front
range; firestacks enclosed; 2nd cell with moulded tie beam and cross beam
with jewel stopped chamfers; third cell now with stair and partition wall,
ogee stopped beams, rear wall with large rectangular 2-light opening (now
blocked) perhaps of former window with moulded wooden frame and king mullion.
Boarded door to attic from outshut with fleur de lys strap hinges; roof with
inserted secondary support structure below original timbers.


Listing NGR: TF7302019053

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.