This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7055 / 52°42'19"N
Longitude: 0.6344 / 0°38'3"E
OS Eastings: 578080
OS Northings: 315237
OS Grid: TF780152
Mapcode National: GBR Q78.C6G
Mapcode Global: WHKQN.Q887
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 15 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221911
Location: West Acre, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: West Acre
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: West Acre All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
WEST ACRE CHURCH GREEN (east side)
10/43 Church of All Saints.
Parish Church. C14, C15, C17 and C19 restorations. Formerly a dependancy of
West Acre Priory, restored by Sir Edward Barkham, Lord of the Manor from C
1600 and Lord Mayor of London 1621, c.1638. An example of a Gothic survival
or early Gothic Revival restoration. Knapped flint with ashlar dressings,
slate roofs. 3 stage west tower has one 2-light 'Y' tracery C17 west window
with drip mould head and flush keyed -arch above. Second stage has 4
rectangular lancet slits, Barkham coat of arms with cartouche on west face.
Bell stage has 4 C17 pointed traceryless windows. Stone plinth, 2 ashlar faced
west angle buttresses with set offs, bell stage string course, ashlar battle-
ment parapets. Clock, 1907 with letters of Christ's Command "Watch and Pray"
in place of numerals. 3 bay battlemented nave has 2 north and 2 south 4-light
windows with distinctive C17 Gothic tracery of Perpendicular inspiration under
drip mould heads and flush keyed keystone arches. South side has 4 and north
3 ashlared set off buttresses. Ashlar parapet with coat of arms on south.
North porch has C17 classical doorcase with chamfered jambs. Capitals and
moulded arch with central keystone with dears head. Flush keyed arch above.
Porch interior has re-set C13 stone stead voussoir figure. South nave door
has simple classical arched embrassure with keystone head under drip mould.
Inscription EW 1538, presumably for 1638, above. 2 bay chancel south side
has 2 'Y' tracery cusped light windows set under C17 round arch heads. South
priest's door, 2 simple classical arches with keystone and drip mould,
inscription above 1638 IFC. Battlemented parapet with coat of arms, one set
off angle buttress. 4-light east window, tracery perhaps of c.1900 of
Perpendicular inspiration, gable north transept vestry with 3-light
Perpendicular style tracery, battlements and set off buttresses. Interior:
C14 chancel arch, perhaps c.1638 re-cut capitals. Splayed stone soffits to
nave windows dying into embrasure. Primitive tower arch perhaps c.1638 with
stop angles and crude chamferings.
Listing NGR: TF7808015237
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings