History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Winch, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7158 / 52°42'56"N

Longitude: 0.415 / 0°24'53"E

OS Eastings: 563221

OS Northings: 315865

OS Grid: TF632158

Mapcode National: GBR N44.PQQ

Mapcode Global: WHJP7.BZVV

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342420

English Heritage Legacy ID: 222015

Location: West Winch, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: West Winch

Built-Up Area: West Winch

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
North Runcton

Listing Text

WEST WINCH WEST WINCH
TF 51 NW
Main Road (east side)
4/82 Church of St Mary
15.8.60
- II*
Parish church, C13 and later. Carstone with limestone and brick dressings; slate
roof. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and south porch. Tall tower mainly
of carstone with limestone dressings; stepped diagonal buttresses; polygonal
stair turret to north-east; west face with lower part of flint flushwork panels;
Perpendicular west doorway with blank shields in spandrels, large lion stops,
2 side shafts to left and to right; canopied polygonal niches flanking doorway;
3-light west window with stepped supertransoms and panel tracery, some brickwork
above; clock with limestone face dated 1727; traceried sound openings to north
and south with shields, that to north blank; bell openings of 2 cusped lights
under large cusped eyelet; brick embattled parapet with limestone crocketted
pinnacles. Nave incorporates earlier diagonal buttresses of tower. South nave
of carstone with some limestone, brick dressings, 3 renewed clerestorey lights
with brick dressings each of 3 trefoil-headed lights under a segmental arch.
South aisle of carstone with limestone dressings; 2 openings each of 2 cuspheaded
lights under a square head, that to right with figure stops; east window of aisle
with 3 cuspheaded lights. South porch: gabled north and south, gable parapet
with shaped kneelers, remains of cross on north gable, plain tiles; south facade
and diagonal buttresses of flint and limestone chequerwork, double hollow chamfered
porch arch, sundial above dated 1766; returns of brick with flint chequerwork
plinth, 2-light Decorated openings. Porch interior with quadripartite vault
with stone ribs springing from defaced figure corbels; central bossy brick benches,
moulded south doorway with deeply undercut hood mould and large figure stops.
Chancel: carstone with brick dressings; south chancel with 3 stepped buttresses
in brick, 2 openings of 2 and 3 pointed lights under a square hood mould, doorway
to right blocked in brick; east chancel with much iron conglomerate, C13 east
window of 3 stepped lights, mural monument to Phillip Brittiff 1723, Usher of
the Free Schole at Lynn; north chancel with small lancet and C19 lean-to vestry.
North nave of large carstone blocks, 2 3-light Perpendicular openings with panel
tracery, north doorway as south. Crosses to nave and chancel gables. Interior:
roof renewed C19; 3-bay south arcade with polygonal responds, that to west with
ball flowers to capital; eastern pier of two polygonal responds, respond to west
with nail head decoration to capital, quatrefoil western pier; double chamfered
eastern arch, double hollow chamfers to central and western arches. Double
chamfered chancel arch with polygonal jambs and a lancet archway to either side;
north nave lancet with C12 splayed rear arch; C17 table with strapwork frieze
and bulbous legs, table top extended; C17 rails with vase turned balusters, newels
with large carved figures holding loaf, winecup, moneybag and cross. Tall tower
arch with semi-circular jambs, polygonal capitals supporting multi-chamfered
arch; C14 screen to tower with Decorated tracery to 4 panels, upper lights renewed;
4-centred doorway to tower stair with ledged and battened door. South aisle:
cuspheaded piscina and C17 table. Plain octagonal tub font with moulded base
added to octagonal stem with moulded head. Rear arch of south doorway moulded;
alms box on trefoil headed C15 bench end with carving of St Paul. West nave
with some C15 poppy head benchends; brick floor.


Listing NGR: TF6322115865

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.