History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Ellingham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5533 / 52°33'11"N

Longitude: 0.9561 / 0°57'22"E

OS Eastings: 600508

OS Northings: 299155

OS Grid: TM005991

Mapcode National: GBR SD3.VZF

Mapcode Global: VHKBX.J2BZ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220212

Location: Little Ellingham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Little Ellingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Ellingham Little St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Great Ellingham

Listing Text

TM 09 NW LITTLE ELLINGHAM CHURCH STREET

5/50 Church of St. Peter
16/ 7/58
- II*

Parish church. Early C14, rebuilt 1869 by T.H. and F. Healey following fire
of 1867. South-west tower, nave and chancel of flint with ashlar dressings.
Tower over porch of 3 stages. 4-centred arch to ground leads to south door.
Lancet in east wall. Trefoiled niche and encircled quatrefoil in second stage.
One 2-light cinquefoil Y belfry window to each side. 1869 vestry to west
of porch. South nave wall pierced by 2 2-light Y windows flanking 3-light
Perpendicular window under straight head. Partly external stack at east corner
with octagonal chimney. Chancel with 2 Y windows of 2 lights and cinquefoil
arches above string course. East window of 3 lights supporting 3 encircled
cinquefoils. Central light ogeed. String course continuous to north where
it rises to form hood mould of priest's door. One window as south with
hood on C14 head stops. 3 similar nave north windows and blocked doorway
with single large roll moulding and hood on head stops, all of early C14.
3-light west window with cinquefoils supporting 2 trefoiled spherical
triangles. Interior entirely 1869. Wide chancel arch. Roof of collars
supported on large arched braces, arched braces between collars and principals
and 2 tiers butt purlins. Only one purlin to chancel roof, 2 C19 wall
recesses in north nave wall under segmental arches. Early C14 trefoiled
piscina in south wall and triple headed corbel table set into chancel wall
of similar date. Octagonal porphyry font 1869.

Listing NGR: TM0050899155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.