This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8192 / 52°49'8"N
Longitude: 0.5157 / 0°30'56"E
OS Eastings: 569623
OS Northings: 327590
OS Grid: TF696275
Mapcode National: GBR P4F.C5S
Mapcode Global: WHKQ0.WDRM
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 15 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342429
English Heritage Legacy ID: 222157
Location: Sandringham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Sandringham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sandringham with West Newton and Appleton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
SANDRINGHAM WEST NEWTON
TF 62 NE
2/64 Church of SS Peter
Parish church, medieval, restored 1881 by A. Blomfield, (plaque in south
aisle records "THIS . CHURCH . WAS . RESTORED . AND . THE . NORTH . AISLE
. REBUILT . BY . ALBERT . EDWARD . PRINCE . OF . WALES . LORD . OF . THE
. MANOR . AND . PATRON . OF . THE . LIVING . AD MDCCCLXXXI"). Mainly
carstone rubble with some flint and Sandringham sandstone, limestone
dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one, south aisle,
south porch, C19 additions to north. Unbuttressed 3 stage embattled tower
with crocketted pinnacles of 1881 at angles; Y tracery of west window renewed,
to right a cusp ogee headed niche; lancet to 2nd stage south, fretwork clock
face of 1907 and many putlog holes to each face. Y tracery. bell openings.
String course below parapet with gargoyle to each face. South nave of shell
carstone, no clerestorey, south aisle of carstone and flint with eaves courses
in shell limestone, lead roof; renewed windows to east and west of 2 lights
under a quatrefoil, 2 large openings to south extant c1820 each of 4 cusped
lights under a square hood mould. Gabled south porch with C19 roof across
south aisle, shell carstone to south facade, wide 4-centred arch with
continuous moulding; small south doorway with continuous ovolo moulding.
Chancel with roof line slightly lower than nave, some galletted carstone
and some flint; gable parapet and cross; C19 east window of 3 lights and
panel tracery; priest's door to south. 2-light flanking windows with panel
tracery inserted 1881. Additions of 1881 to north in shell carstone; vestry
and organbay each with 2-light panel tracery openings; aisle with lead roof,
one 3-light window and blank doorway. Interior: 4 bay arcade north and south
of double ovolo moulded arches and octagonal piers, bases of piers to south
splayed, bay to east wider with double chamfered arches; no chancel arch.
Tall tower arch with continuous double chamfer, round shafts supporting
hollow chamfered moulding to arch; fragment of ¼ moulding to arris of south
window. Roof of 1881, nave with arch braced collars and wind braces, chancel
with waggon roof. C15 slender octagonal font with blank shields to faces
and blank trefoil headed arches to stem faces; tall C15 crocketted font
cover to fit, possibly cut down from church of St. Mary Magdelene Sandringham
q.v. 2/47. Medieval coffin lid with cross decoration to west of south aisle.
Mosaic reredos of 1881 depicting wheat and vines.
Listing NGR: TF6962327590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings