History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trinity Hospital (Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity) and Attached Enclosing Walls, Circa 30 Metres East of Church of St Laurence

A Grade I Listed Building in Castle Rising, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.7956 / 52°47'44"N

Longitude: 0.4708 / 0°28'14"E

OS Eastings: 566686

OS Northings: 324865

OS Grid: TF666248

Mapcode National: GBR P4K.RV1

Mapcode Global: WHKQ0.6ZGP

Entry Name: Trinity Hospital (Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity) and Attached Enclosing Walls, Circa 30 Metres East of Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 222125

Location: Castle Rising, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Castle Rising

Built-Up Area: Castle Rising

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Castle Rising St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TF 62 SE
6/8 Trinity Hospital
19/10/51 (Hospital of the Holy
and Undivided Trinity)
& attached enclosing
walls, c30m east of
Church of St. Laurence,
q.v. 6/4

Almshouses, 1609-15, for Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton. English bond
brick with some carstone, plain tiles. Single storeyed quadrangle with
entrance to west; east and west ranges with gable parapets. All openings
of casements or fixed lights with leaded panes, original fittings and pintle
hinges. Symmetrical west facade of 9 bays: some carstone, Sandringham
sandstone and flint in plinth; central 3 bays of 2 storeys breaking forward,
string course partly in stone, gable to central bay; central doorway with
semi-circular headed stone arch with hollow chamfer; ledged, battened and
nailed door of c1609; 3-light window over doorway; flanking bays with moulded
brick cornice, pyramidal roof to front of range, stone quoins, 2-light window
to each floor; facade to left and right with dogstooth cornice, large internal
stacks with multi-lozenge shafts to facade between bays 2 and 3, 7 and 8,
three 2-light casements to either side of central 3 bays. External north
and south facades alike: 6 bays, 1st and 6th gabled, semi-circular headed
doorway (to passage to central courtyard) between 5th and 6th bays from west;
internal stacks as to west facade between bays 2 and 3, 5 and 6 from west,
eastern bay with 3-light casement, 5 2-light casements to rest of range.
External facade to east: forward projecting chapel to centre with carstone
plinth, oversailing cornice of tiles and dogstooth brick, stone dressed angle
buttresses, gable cross, 3-light east window in Perpendicular style with
super-transom to panel tracery, 2-light Perpendicular style windows to left
and right returns; 3-bay facade to left of chapel with large shaftless
internal stack between bays 2 and 3, two 2-light casements with chamfered
brick surrounds; facade to right of chapel has inserted glazed door between
chapel and very wide external stack to right, stack in English bond brick
and carstone with 2 lozenge shafts, 2-light casement within stack, 2 casements
to right. Quadrangle Interior: carstone and brick plinth, some carstone
in walls, dogstooth cornice, all windows as to external facades but with
chamfered brick surrounds; single storey symmetrical west facade has central
bay of 2 storeys with gable, semi-circular headed brick arch with 2-light
window above; at far right and left of facade a pair of boarded doors with
chamfered brick surrounds, two 2-light windows each to left and right between
doors and central arch. North and south facades alike: 2-light windows;
from west a window, pair of boarded doors as to west range, 3 windows,
semi-circular headed arch (to passage to exterior). East range: symmetrical
facade, central bay of 2 storeys with gable, central semi-circular headed
doorway in chamfered stone, above in terracotta a lion rampant facing sinister
(the Fitzalan arms reversed) two 2-light windows either side of central
doorway, to left a 4-light window, to right one of 3 lights. East range
is higher than other 3 as contains hall and chapel. East Range Interior:
hall to left ceiled, 9ΒΌ" (23.5cm) floor tiles, heraldic glass showing
achievement of Duke of Norfolk in 3-light window to courtyard; chapel restored
1936, single cell, oak panelling to sanctuary, turned balusters to rails
acorn finials to rails and panelled reredos, all of 1936, C17 table with
fluted frieze, four C17 benches to north and to south with poppyheads, ceiling
frieze of shields to north and south showing arms of Mercers' Company who
now govern the hospital and of members of Howard and Norfolk families.
Attached walls to Trinity Hospital: walls continuing the north and south
facades of the hospital to the west, attached perimeter wall to west, south,
east and north; brick with carstone and Sandringham sandstone, fragments
of limestone reused from castle (q.v. 6/1). Wall to east incorporating former
utility houses.

Listing NGR: TF6668624865

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.