History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Congham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7833 / 52°47'0"N

Longitude: 0.5383 / 0°32'17"E

OS Eastings: 571284

OS Northings: 323660

OS Grid: TF712236

Mapcode National: GBR P4V.JX0

Mapcode Global: WHKQ7.79LK

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342438

English Heritage Legacy ID: 222130

Location: Congham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Congham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Grimston

Listing Text

CONGHAM
TF 72 SW
7/13 Church of St. Andrew
15.8.60
II*
Parish church, C13, restored 1873. Uncoursed broken and whole flint with
some Sandringham sandstone, carstone, limestone and erratics; stone
dressings; plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one. 3 stage square
west tower with embattled brick parapet; diagonal buttresses, C19 west
doorway with C19 window above of 2 cusped lights under a quatrefoil; small
pierced limestone soundholes to second stage, of trefoil to north and west
and of quatrefoil to south; Y tracery bell openings infilled with
honeycomb brickwork. Nave with large figure kneelers to west; South nave:
double hollow chamfer to south doorway, 3 small windows of 2 trefoil headed
lights under a quatrefoil, that to west of porch original, those to east
with renewed heads. North nave with plain chamfered doorway, 2-light window
to west with plate tracery of quatrefoil, central window of 3 trefoil ogee
headed lights under a segmental arch, window to east as south nave. Chancel:
gable parapet and cross, diagonal buttresses, C19 east window of 3-lights
with geometric tracery, north window of 3 lights with transomed panel tracery
above centre light, quatrefoils above flanking lights; South chancel with
two windows of 2 trefoil headed lights under a quatrefoil, mullions and
head renewed; below window to east a small rectangular opening, buttress
to left. Interior: tall tower arch with polygonal shafts and double hollow
chamfered arch, screen and doors to arch of C17 panelling with carved frieze.
C13 octagonal font with Purbeck marble bowl having shallow blank arcading
to splayed faces, base and stem with 8 columns of granite dated 1864; piscina
in east wall with trefoil headed ogee arch; several Tournai marble ledger
slabs, some heraldic; oak reredos with relief of vine trees and the cross,
wine glass pulpit of floral open panels, both c1897 from the Royal Carving
School at Sandringham.


Listing NGR: TF7128423660

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.