This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4288 / 52°25'43"N
Longitude: 0.9021 / 0°54'7"E
OS Eastings: 597402
OS Northings: 285166
OS Grid: TL974851
Mapcode National: GBR SFL.LX3
Mapcode Global: VHKCG.L68W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220565
Location: Harling, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16
Civil Parish: Harling
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Harling East St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 98 NE HARLING WEST HARLING
1/27 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Late C13, C14, repaired 1733, restored 1902. Flint. with ashlar
dressings and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave, chancel. C14 2 stage
tower with diagonal buttresses west, flat east, both with chequered flushwork.
Diamond pattern flushwork base course below 2-light west window of 1902 in
early Perpendicular style with hood and head stops. Trefoiled ringing chamber
lights to north and south under square hoods. To south is trefoiled statue
niche under crocketted ogee arch with finial. String course below plain paired
lancet belfry windows of 1756 and brick crenellated parapet of same date.
Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded entrance arch with
hood on C19 head stops below brick relieving arch. Square statue niche above
and 2-light side windows under square hoods. One mid C14 early Perpendicular
2-light nave window to south and 2 similar to north nave, all with hoods on
grotesque stops. To east re-set (in 1733) 2-light plate tracery window :
double lancet with hollow cut mouldings with super arch over spandrels punched
with rounded quatrefoil. Parapet to nave and narrower chancel with 2-light
intersecting window of 1902 and plain arched priest's door. 3-light cusped
intersecting east window with hood on head stops of c.1300. Blocked roll
moulded roundel above. One C13 lancet to north chancel and square C19 vestry
with rising gabled dormer with Y window (lighting organ loft) of same date.
3 flat buttresses to north nave wall and moulded and arched north door.
Interior. Double hammerbeam nave roof of 1902 with solid arched braces to
wall posts carved with flower and diaper motifs and pierced tracery spandrels.
Collars and 2 tiers moulded butt purlins. Chancel roof barrel vaulted also
1902 of timber. Roll moulded jambs and filleted depressed rere arch to south
plate tracery window, the east jamb truncated to facilitate C13 angle piscina.
Piscina with trefoiled ogeed arch on round columns with capitals, later than
window which has been re-located. Fragments of medieval glass in quatrefoil
of this window and in head of window opposite. Hollow chamfered chancel arch
late C13. Empty sedilia niche in chancel with fragment of late C13 painted
diaper exposed on rear wall. Double piscina within square surround. C15
octagonal font with ogee tracery to stem, head corbels under bowl and roll
moulded stem panels with curved shields and floral patterns. 3 brasses in
nave floor, from east : William Berdewell and wife, 1508; William Berdewell
c.1490 and wife; Ralph Fuloflore, priest, 1479. All of high quality with
inscriptions at foot, the priest in mass vestments.
Listing NGR: TL9740285166
Other nearby listed buildings