History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Cranworth, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6023 / 52°36'8"N

Longitude: 0.9284 / 0°55'42"E

OS Eastings: 598407

OS Northings: 304527

OS Grid: TF984045

Mapcode National: GBR SCH.TSV

Mapcode Global: WHLSB.7VCD

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Last Amended: 21 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220801

Location: Cranworth, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Cranworth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cranworth with Letton and Southburgh

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Shipdham

Listing Text

CRANWORTH
TF 90 SE
9/9 Old Rectory (formerly
4.12.51 listed as Cranworth
Rectory)
- II
Former rectory. Circa 1840 incorporating an earlier building. Limewashed
brick and black pantile roof. Irregular plan. 2 storeys. Entrance facade
of 5 bays with end bays slightly taller. Sash windows with glazing bars
beneath skewback arches. One tripartite sash window to south echoed by a
former tripartite window to north, now converted into French windows. Off-
centre 2-leaf part-glazed front door with an open porch on a pair of unfluted
Doric columns. Wide eaves to all sides of house with renewed shaped and
paired brackets. South facade. Large 2-storeyed canted bay with 6 sash
windows with glazing bars beneath skewback arches. Single storeyed
rectangular projection with front slightly segmental in plan. 3 blind
windows with skewback arches, moulded cornice and a loop balustrade. North
facade of 5 bays of sash windows with glazing bars (2 blind) with an oculus
and smaller sash window to western end. Lead downpipes with moulded hoppers
and many prominent chimney stacks. Services around a courtyard to rear.
Interior. Dining room screen with a pair of Ionic columns. Some fine Greek
derived plaster cornices. Plaster vaulted rooms to first floor - mainly
3-centred barrels with a particularly notable integration of the canted bay
to the south. Swept main staircase with twisted balusters and rope-twist
handrail. Surviving glebe terrier with drawings.


Listing NGR: TF9840704527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.