This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7076 / 52°42'27"N
Longitude: 1.0356 / 1°2'8"E
OS Eastings: 605170
OS Northings: 316539
OS Grid: TG051165
Mapcode National: GBR TCS.BLW
Mapcode Global: WHLRZ.W69M
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220724
Location: Elsing, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20
Civil Parish: Elsing
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Elsing St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 01 NE ELSING CHURCH ROAD
4/18 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Built by Sir Hugh Hastings between 1330 and 1347 replacing
an earlier church of which a small fragment of wailing survives in west wall
of nave. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Pantile roofs.
West tower, exceptionally wide aisleless nave with north and south porches,
chancel with contemporary vestry to north. West tower with angle buttresses
Incorporating a stair turret to north west. blest doorway with dying mould-
ings. 2-light traceried window above with mouchettes and daggers. 2-light
bell-openings with similar tracery. Crenellated parapet with flushwork
and crocketted corner pinnacles. Crenellated parapets also to nave and
chancel. Nave porches with ogee headed and trilobe cusped entrances.
Ogee headed north door with double cusping and a hood mould with fleuron.
6 3-light nave windows with fine Decorated tracery consisting in each case
of a pair of diagonal petals with a shorter vertical petal or dagger above.
The cusping is wide except in the two easternmost windows on the north
side where it is doubled. Chancel with 2 2-light windows to south and
one to north with paired mouchettes and dagger tracery. 5-light east window
with 9 flamboyant mouchettes. Blocked entrance to vault beneath east
window. Contemporary vestry with a 2-light Y-traceried east window.
Interior. Tall tower arch of 2 plain-chamfered orders on polygonal
responds. Triple sedilia cum piscina with cusped ogee heads. Mutilated
life-size brass in chancel to Sir Hugh Hastings (died 1347) with effigy
surrounded by figures in architectural canopies. C14 octagonal font with
bell-shaped bowl and blind tracery. Contemporary restored font cover with
tracery, flying buttresses and crocketted spire. Surviving chancel screen
dado with mutilated paintings. Fragments of C14 glass in chancel.
Listing NGR: TG0517016539
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings