History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oxborough, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5813 / 52°34'52"N

Longitude: 0.5689 / 0°34'7"E

OS Eastings: 574147

OS Northings: 301269

OS Grid: TF741012

Mapcode National: GBR P7F.0NL

Mapcode Global: WHKR6.QC2X

Entry Name: Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Margaret

Listing Date: 23 June 1960

Last Amended: 23 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220929

Location: Oxborough, Breckland, Norfolk, PE33

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Oxborough

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Oxborough St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Oxborough

Listing Text

TF 7401 OXBOROUGH OXBURGH HALL PARK

13/26 Church of the Immaculate
23.6.60 Conception of the
Blessed Virgin Mary
and St.Margaret
(formerly listed as
Roman Catholic Church)

GV II*

Roman Catholic private chapel. Completed in 1838. Later additions.
Attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Re-used early brick; additions in ashlar and gault brick. Slate roofs.
Aisleless nave with polygonal apse not oriented, (described, however, as if it were). Early Pointed style. 6 bays of plain lancet windows with chamfered reveals. Staged buttresses at each bay division including around the 5-sided apse. West wall with a later traceried 3-light window inserted into an original opening. Small doorway with hood mould and a rendered bellcote to gable peak. Ashlar south chapel of c.1865 in late Medieval style with a traceried oculus to east, a 3-light traceried gable window and a 2-light west window. Low northern addition in gault brick with 3 gables - 2 pertaining to vestry and one to porch. Interior. Arch braced roof with wall posts supported by crowned angels carrying shields. South chapel contains a carved marble effigy of the sixth baronet (Sir Henry Richard Paston-Bedingfeld). Imported fittings including an elaborate painted and carved C17 Felmish altar with reredos, C17 carved railings and Medieval glass.


Listing NGR: TF7414701269

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.