History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lynford Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lynford, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5145 / 52°30'52"N

Longitude: 0.68 / 0°40'48"E

OS Eastings: 581953

OS Northings: 294110

OS Grid: TL819941

Mapcode National: GBR Q9N.BQR

Mapcode Global: VHJFH.Q2V6

Entry Name: Lynford Hall

Listing Date: 3 November 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220974

Location: Lynford, Breckland, Norfolk, IP26

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Lynford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Mundford St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Mundford

Listing Text

TL 89 SW LYNFORD

8/27 Lynford Hall
3:11:75

GV II

Hotel and country club. Completed 1862; refurbished and reduced after fire
of 1928. Architect: William Burns. Brick with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs. Jacobean style of irregular plan. Main block. 2 storeys with attics
and cellars. Asymmetrical entrance facade with central advanced wing with
an arched doorway and semicircular fanlight. Elaborate open porch on a pair
of Roman Doric columns with open strapwork decoration above. Surmounted
by a canted bay also with strapwork. Topped with an extremely elaborate
curved gable incorporating a Venetian window, family arms, obelisk finials
and an open-topped segmental pediment. Stone 2-, 3- and 4-light ovolo
moulded mullion and transom windows throughout. To left of entrance an
octagonal corner turret, a first floor oriel window and 2 dormer windows
set into curved attic gables. To right of entrance a first floor balcony
with stone arcaded railings. End bay slightly advanced with curved gable
and square corner turret. Arcaded open parapets, moulded stringcourses,
raised shaped ashlar quoins and moulded chimney shafts. Symmetrical garden
facade of 7 bays, the central 5 bays with 2-light mullion and transom
windows, a central glazed door and a row of dummy dormer windows in stone
connected by an open parapet and adorned with elaborate gables and obelisk
finials. End bays slightly advanced with further advancement to ground and
first floors. 4-light mullion and transom windows and curvilinear gables.
East block razed except for basement after fire of 1928.


Listing NGR: TL8195394110

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.